VirtualBox and ZFS plugins installation issue after fresh OMV install

• Hello,

i've set up my second, fresh OMV installation v. 4.14 and now i'm trying to install VirtualBox plugin and ZFS plugin from OMV-Extras. But it gives me this kind of error:

Code
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     openmediavault-virtualbox : Depends: linux-headers-686-pae but it is not installable or
                                          linux-headers-amd64 but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    <<< *************************************

When i try to install "linux-headers-amd64" i get this message:

Code
    Following packages have unmet dependencies:
     linux-headers-amd64 : Depends: linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 but is not going to be installed
    E: Cannot resolve the problems, stopped broken packages.

And when i try to install linux-headers by this command: "apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" i get:

Code
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 : Depends: linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86 (>= 4.14.17-1~) but 4.9.82-1+deb9u3 is going to be installed
    E: Cannot resolve problems, stopped broken packages.

How can i resolve this?

• Same issue with Virtualbox after kernel update to 4.15.

Booting with kernel 4.14 solve the problem and Virtualbox has no problems.

How can Virtualbox run with kernel 4.15

I've tried to boot with 4.14 kernel, also installed OMV one more time v 4.0.3 but still VirtualBox and ZFS plugins cannot install with above error. No matter which kernel i use or which OMV version i install.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Debian has to fix the dependencies in their control file. I will look for a bug report and report one if I don't find one (if I have a chance). Nothing you can do until then due to the dependency on the linux-headers-amd64 meta package which references the 4.15 headers.

linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 : Depends: linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86 (>= 4.14.17-1~) but 4.9.82-1+deb9u3 is to be installed

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Thx a lot for the warning, I was going to do the upgrade to the 4.15 kernel... you saved my day ;)

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

• Debian has to fix the dependencies in their control file. I will look for a bug report and report one if I don't find one (if I have a chance). Nothing you can do until then due to the dependency on the linux-headers-amd64 meta package which references the 4.15 headers.

Thank you for your attention. I hope they will fix this soon because virtualbox is my must-have on OMV :) Also OMV is my must-have already after migrating from Qnap.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just submitted the bug report to Debian. Just have to wait now.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=895819

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I just submitted the bug report to Debian. Just have to wait now.

Do you have a link to your bug report in the debian tracker?

I encountered the same issue on Saturday, I've done an downgrade to the 4.14 kernel.

Is there anybody that can answer the following question:
    Is there an improvement for the ZFS Plugin with the newer backports kernel instead of the stable kernel?
    I would say no.

I was thinking about to use the stable kernel instead of the backports. I have no hardware issues with the stable kernel. Is there any side effects with OMV if I use the stable kernel?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there an improvement for the ZFS Plugin with the newer backports kernel instead of the stable kernel?

No since the zfs code is not in the kernel. It may improve support on some hardware though.

I was thinking about to use the stable kernel instead of the backports. I have no hardware issues with the stable kernel. Is there any side effects with OMV if I use the stable kernel?

Nope, it works fine. Just add OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="NO" to /etc/default/openmediavault and then omv-mkconf apt. This will prevent the backports kernel from being installed. It won't remove it if it is currently installed though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess installing the meta package doesn't resolve dependencies properly but this will:

apt-get install -t stretch-backports linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

Updating to omv-extras 4.1.3 should eliminate the need to fix this manually.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I cannot install the kernel because it says "stetch-backports" isnt possible for Default release. Any idea?

Please cut and paste what I wrote. You spelled stretch wrong.

I did the update an my ZFS dont work anymore. Is my data lost?

Nope. You just need to compile the zfs module for the new kernel. Then rebooting is the easiest way. You might have to import your pools. In the future, I wouldn't blindly install kernel updates especially when it is a new version.

• apt-get install -t stretch-backports linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

This could solve the problem of not installing Virtualbox. I also did an "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" and after reboot I could install Virtualbox without any problems

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• @ryecoaaron

Thanks for omv-extras 4.1.3

linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 are installed now.

recompile of virtualbox with dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-dkms has still issues.

/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/make.log

no way for virtualbox on kernel 4.15?

• Offizieller Beitrag

no way for virtualbox on kernel 4.15?

Not Virtualbox 5.1.30. I will have to try to build 5.2.8 from the buster repo. If it builds on stretch, the module should compile with the 4.15 kernel since that is the standard buster kernel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I got the package compiled but it requires some changes to the plugin and phpvirtualbox package. Those changes will break backward compatibility. Need to think about what to do.

• Please cut and paste what I wrote. You spelled stretch wrong.

Here is the original output of the console

root@OMV:~# apt-get install -t stretch-backports linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
    E: Der Wert »stretch-backports« ist für APT::Default-Release ungültig, da solch eine Veröffentlichung in den Paketquellen nicht verfügbar ist.

Translation should be

E: The value "stretch-backports" is for APT::Default-Release is invalid, since such a release is not available in the package-sources.

Also i updated my omv-extras to 4.1.3 without any success
    Same issue after reinstallation of openmediavault-zfs

openmediavault-zfs (4.0.2-1) wird eingerichtet ...
    modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten des Paketes openmediavault-zfs (--configure):
    Unterprozess installiertes post-installation-Skript gab den Fehlerwert 1 zurück
    Trigger für libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) werden verarbeitet ...
    Trigger für openmediavault (4.1.4-1) werden verarbeitet ...
    Restarting engine daemon ...
    Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
    openmediavault-zfs
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

• I guess installing the meta package doesn't resolve dependencies properly but this will:

apt-get install -t stretch-backports linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

Updating to omv-extras 4.1.3 should eliminate the need to fix this manually.

It fixes problem with virtualbox installation, but not with ZFS plugin. When i try to install it via WebGui i just get "Completed..." message immediately after clicking "Install". And nothing else happens, zfs plugin is not available.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It fixes problem with virtualbox installation, but not with ZFS plugin. When i try to install it via WebGui i just get "Completed..." message immediately after clicking "Install". And nothing else happens, zfs plugin is not available.

You are correct that it doesn't compile the zfs module but it does fix the issue where the module won't compile. dpkg-reconfigure zfs-dkms

Also i updated my omv-extras to 4.1.3 without any success
    Same issue after reinstallation of openmediavault-zfs

If the headers aren't installed, the zfs issue can't be fixed. What is the output of grep -ir backport /etc/apt/*

• If the headers aren't installed, the zfs issue can't be fixed. What is the output of grep -ir backport /etc/apt/*

root@OMV:~# grep -ir backport /etc/apt/*
    /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove: "linux-backports-modules-.*";
    /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels: "^linux-backports-modules-.*-4\.14\.0-0\.bpo\.3-amd64$";
    /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels: "^linux-backports-modules-.*-4\.15\.0-0\.bpo\.2-amd64$";
    /etc/apt/preferences.d/omv-extras-org:Pin: release a=stretch-backports

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!