Help- How do I Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)?

• votdev- I have been using Linux variants for the past two years, mostly on the Raspberry Pi. I installed Debian 9 on a spare PC and am learning a lot from ths forum and your posts.

You make installing OMV4 on Deb9 look simple in your post: "Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)".

However, I am confused by the construct of "cat <<EOF >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list". What does <<EOF>> do?
    Also, I've never seen the export command, and there's no man pages for it. What are these export lines doing?

I never do anything without some understanding what I am doing, so an explanation of the process in your post would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Steve Mann

• Hi SteveMann,

The cat <<EOF >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list will append all following text into the file until it sees the marker EOF, its effectively the same as you editing the file and appending the text liens yourself.

Hope that helps

• Thanks- that and some old-fashioned research helped me understand a lot. Linux is getting more versatile for me every day. Who knows, I may switch my main PC to Debian some day, or at least, dual-boot.

Perhaps you can help me get a bit further in my installation?

So , I follow the instructions in votdev's post, this line:
    apt-get --allow-unauthenticated install openmediavault-keyring
    Produces these warning lines:
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8107e-2.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8107e-1.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168h-2.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168h-1.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168g-3.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8106e-2.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8106e-1.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8411-2.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8411-1.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8402-1.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-1.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-1.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw for module r8169
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169

When I run:
    omv-initsystem
    I get a similar warning list.

One g.search from 2013 says to add this to my sources.list:
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze main non-free
    Is this a possible solution that you would recommend trying?

BTW, I am running Debian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch), so should I change "squeeze" to "stretch" in the sources.list line?

Many thanks
    Steve

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW, I am running Debian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch), so should I change "squeeze" to "stretch" in the sources.list line?

Just add non-free to the end of the line for your current repo in /etc/apt/sources.list. No need to add another line. And it should definitely be stretch.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the quick reply. As you suspected, adding the line didn't make any difference, but OMV4 seems to be running just fine. Is there a way to find what is handled in "module r8169" or if it's a feature that I will regret not having?

I did go ahead and start building a RAID5 with 4 disks, and when I went to bed there was 120 minutes remaining on the resynch. When I checked in the morning, resynch started over. Apparently one of my HDD's triggered a SMART error. (Red dot says: "Device is being used outside design parameters". OK, it's an old, really old Samsung HDD. The other three are Seagate Barracuda's, so I'll simply swap out the Samsung with another Seagate.

Am I correct that the SMART error is what triggered the resynch?

Now, back to the original question.
    For background, I am currently using OMV3 on a Raspberry Pi3, but it is so slow.... And I had an HP-PC doing nothing, so I decided to use the PC instead. Besides that, on the Pi, my RAID disks are all on a USB hub, slowing things even more. The last straw was when I rebooted, the RAID array was gone. And it took 5-days to resynch. (Increasing speed_limit_min to 50,000 finished the resync in 4-days). I decided that OMV/RAID on the Pi was a non-starter.

So, I'll start over (since I have to replace an old disk already) and add "non-free" to the deb line, and there is no data on the array yet.

Again, your patience and assistance is greatly appreciated.

• Sorry about the duplicate posts. When I clicked on "Submit", I got an error back:
    The server encountered an unresolvable problem, please try again later.
    Exception ID: 8ad971854b3fddf83acc9e1f8251add423ad21e0

So, I wait a minute and try "submit" again, and get the same error.
    Rinse, repeat.
    So when I finally get the "Submit" to finish, I discover that all my prior attempts did get posted.

This is just an FYI unless there's something I did wrong. (Like using Chrome browser in a Windows PC?)

Steve Mann

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to find what is handled in "module r8169" or if it's a feature that I will regret not having?

What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep firmware

Am I correct that the SMART error is what triggered the resynch?

Probably. Are you sure you really need raid? It isn't backup.

For background, I am currently using OMV3 on a Raspberry Pi3, but it is so slow.... And I had an HP-PC doing nothing, so I decided to use the PC instead. Besides that, on the Pi, my RAID disks are all on a USB hub, slowing things even more. The last straw was when I rebooted, the RAID array was gone. And it took 5-days to resynch. (Increasing speed_limit_min to 50,000 finished the resync in 4-days). I decided that OMV/RAID on the Pi was a non-starter.

Yep, I have posted many, many times to not use raid on an rpi. I wouldn't use raid on usb either.

This is just an FYI unless there's something I did wrong.

See the fourth problem here - Solutions to common problems

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Lots of duplicate posts - sure sign of a newbie.... I'll be more patient in the future.

dpkg -l | grep firmware returns- nothing. Without the grep, there are pages of data. What in particular were you looking for?

Pi 3 is good for a first-time Linux user, but I want to grow (up). I do use the Pi for some home-automation needs, but mostly ESP-8266 devices. (Sorry, off-topic), but I agree other than a learning platform, it's not a RAID system.

Do I need RAID? I dunno. Do I?
    I like that RAID is a (mostly) fail-safe storage, but I understand that it isn't a substitute for backups.
    To answer my own question - do I need RAID? Probably not. But I like the ability to detect a disk failure without losing data. I think it reduces my risk of losing anything over my current process of using SyncBack Free from 2BrightSparks to do an occasional smart mirror of my Windows PC files. Sort of a pseudo-RAID 1.

So, how is frequent backups from sdb to sdc any different from RAID 1, except that RAID automates the mirror copy?

I have four drives, what's your thoughts about RAID 0-1?

Again, your replies are most welcome.

Steve Mann

• So, how is frequent backups from sdb to sdc any different from RAID 1, except that RAID automates the mirror copy?

How do you recover an accidentally deleted file from a RAID 1 array if you have no other backup?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Again, your replies are most welcome.

Search the forum for "RAID is not backup". You will find a lot of usefull information. Then, based on that, you have to come to your own conclusion.

• Offizieller Beitrag

dpkg -l | grep firmware returns- nothing. Without the grep, there are pages of data. What in particular were you looking for?

That means there are no firmware packages installed. Removing the grep shows every package installed on the system. Trying installing the firmware-realtek package - apt-get install firmware-realtek

• Thanks for all the replies. I did more reading as suggested, and agree that RAID is not a backup system.
    So, I'll skip RAID until I find a need for it and continue to do occasional backups.

So, what's the process to un-raid my disks and reuse them individually?

• Offizieller Beitrag

what's the process to un-raid my disks and reuse them individually?

Wipe them in the physical disks tab and format them in the filesystems tab.

• I'm back.
    Wiping the disks didn't work for all volumes. I went to the Debian Desktop / Disks and reformatted the partition there, and now I an re-use the disks.

However, I still can't delete the RAID array. When I reboot the computer, it takes a few minutes because it gets hung up on "A start job is running dev-disk...Arrakis.device"
    (I liked the name for my Raid array).

When I go to Access Rights Management to add one of the new disks, I get this error:
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start 'sharedfolders-Arrakis.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': A dependency job for sharedfolders-Arrakis.mount failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.

The last line in journalctl is:
    'mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-label-Arrakis' status failed (1) -- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Arrakis is not a mountpoint

So, the Raid Arrakis is apparently causing me problems.

Unless there is an easy way to remove the Raid array: Arrakis, I am not adverse to starting over with a fresh install.
    In order to do a clean install, do I first need to do an apt-get remove openmediavault, or just install on top of the existing openmediavault?

Again, your assistance is appreciated.
    Steve Mann

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like the mdadm raid is still present. What is the output of cat /proc/mdstat

• I started over.
    Nothing I did would get rid of the Raid hooks, and since this is a new installation, it was easier to just start over with a fresh install of Debian 9.

Now, I can't install OMV4.

I follow the instructions here: http://openmediavault.readthed…stallation/on_debian.html

And at the end, the last apt-get, I get this:

Any tips where I went wrong would be appreciated.

Steve Mann

• Ummm... because I didn't know there was an OMV iso?

DOH!

You are exactly correct that the original purpose was to drain the swamp. OMV on the Raspberry Pi was just too slow. And my Raid kept disappearing.

So, lessons learned:
    1) Don't use RAID unless I really know that I need it.
    2) Install OMV from the iso.

The OMV4 iso kept failing in the file-copy step, but the OMV3 iso installed perfectly.

I do have another question but I'll search for an answer before starting another thread.

Again, thanks all for the assistance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The OMV4 iso kept failing in the file-copy step, but the OMV3 iso installed perfectly.

I would try to do an upgrade to OMV4 before you spend much time for configuration and installation of plug-ins.
    Sooner or later you will have to upgrade anyway.

• Hi, I was and am following this guide:

Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

Below I will show how I (tried) to install OMV4 on a pi b. I feel like it may be that omv4 isn't for pi b? I didn't see how to install previous versions of OMV on the pi b. Everything pointed to latest version which ofc wouldn't work. Below you will see my attempts in installing on a fresh version of Stretch on a new sd card that has bootberry. I sent install files to a USB. Maybe this is the problem?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ apt-get update

Reading package lists... Done
    W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (1: Operation not permitted)
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
    W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (13: Permission denied)
    W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (13: Permission denied)
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
    > .--allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
    > .--no-install-recommends \
    > .--option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
    > .--option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \
    > .install postfix openmediavault
    E: Sense auto is not understood, try true or false.
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ # Initialize the system and database.
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ omv-initsystem
    -bash: omv-initsystem: command not found
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get update
    Hit:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian stretch InRelease
    Hit:2 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian stretch InRelease
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat <<EOF >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    > deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis main
    > # deb http://downloads.sourceforge.n…t/openmediavault/packages arrakis main
    > ## Uncomment the following line to add software from the proposed repository.
    > # deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis-proposed main
    > # deb http://downloads.sourceforge.n…t/openmediavault/packages arrakis-proposed main
    > ## This software is not part of OpenMediaVault, but is offered by third-party
    > ## developers as a service to OpenMediaVault users.
    > # deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis partner
    > # deb http://downloads.sourceforge.n…t/openmediavault/packages arrakis partner
    > EOF
    -bash: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list: Permission denied
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ export LANG=C
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ export APT_LISTCHANGES_FRONTEND=none
    W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (1: Operation not permitted)
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (13: Permission denied)
    W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (13: Permission denied)
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ apt-get --allow-unauthenticated install openmediavault-keyring
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
    > .--allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
    > .--no-install-recommends \
    > .--option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
    > .--option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \
    > .install postfix openmediavault
    E: Sense auto is not understood, try true or false.
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ # Initialize the system and database.
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ omv-initsystem
    -bash: omv-initsystem: command not found
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $

I could try not using bootberry but I wasn't quite sure. I tried using the bootberry option with OMV (version 2.2 iirc was the version iirc). Didn't work. Just go straight up stretch and copy the same lines from the guide?

TY for anything in advance!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!