OMV on desktop computer. What about the drivers??

• Hi Guys!

I've been considering building a new PC and use it as a NAS. I ended up finding some good cheap deals on ebay for used pre-built systems which I will clean, transfer to a new case and simply use as my OMV server.

I have been using OMV on rpi and I'm trying to plan ahead how I'll handle the transition.

I'm planing to install VMware hypervisor esxi because I want the PC to run both OMV and home-assistant (another linux based OS for home automation). Of course each will have their different disk drives and both actually require not a lot of processing power so it should be a viable option. Any red flags till here?

I was concerned regarding the drivers. The rpi I have used a rpi-specific image which took care of all the drivers. But with a PC having endless options for parts and drivers, I'm assuming I'll need to download and install them manually. Can anyone explain to me how to do it?

I know how to do it in windows environment but I have no experience whatsoever with linux unless it's a GUI... Is there any detailed post explaining how to handle this task?

Thank you!

• Is more easy that you think.
    1 - do a new fresh install of OMV on new hardware ( this install appropriate drivers for your hardware).
    2 - Attach the disk.
    3 - Create appropriate shares and services.
    4 - Copy data from Raspi to New hardware
    Done, now you can finish to configure service & dockers to use your data.

• Thank you for the reply!

I'm mostly concerned about the drivers installation part. Based on my experience with windows, the OS will often fail to identify a certain part and will require me to insert a CD containing the drivers. After installing the drivers (from an exe file), the hardware will work.

What if a driver is missing and OMV did not automatically fetch it? Then how would I "install" that driver?

To be more specific, the part I'm mostly worried about is this SATA card ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I would be really surprized if OMV identifies it without drivers.

I would appreciate any clarification regarding installing drivers manually if needed.

Thanks a lot!

• The card is based on a Marvell 88SE9705 chipset.

Should be natively recognize, so no driver problem.

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups