OMV on desktop computer. What about the drivers??

• OMV on desktop computer. What about the drivers??

Hi Guys!

I've been considering building a new PC and use it as a NAS. I ended up finding some good cheap deals on ebay for used pre-built systems which I will clean, transfer to a new case and simply use as my OMV server.

I have been using OMV on rpi and I'm trying to plan ahead how I'll handle the transition.

I'm planing to install VMware hypervisor esxi because I want the PC to run both OMV and home-assistant (another linux based OS for home automation). Of course each will have their different disk drives and both actually require not a lot of processing power so it should be a viable option. Any red flags till here?

I was concerned regarding the drivers. The rpi I have used a rpi-specific image which took care of all the drivers. But with a PC having endless options for parts and drivers, I'm assuming I'll need to download and install them manually. Can anyone explain to me how to do it?

I know how to do it in windows environment but I have no experience whatsoever with linux unless it's a GUI... Is there any detailed post explaining how to handle this task?

Thank you!
    • Is more easy that you think.
      1 - do a new fresh install of OMV on new hardware ( this install appropriate drivers for your hardware).
      2 - Attach the disk.
      3 - Create appropriate shares and services.
      4 - Copy data from Raspi to New hardware
      Done, now you can finish to configure service & dockers to use your data.
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • Thank you for the reply!

I'm mostly concerned about the drivers installation part. Based on my experience with windows, the OS will often fail to identify a certain part and will require me to insert a CD containing the drivers. After installing the drivers (from an exe file), the hardware will work.

What if a driver is missing and OMV did not automatically fetch it? Then how would I "install" that driver?

To be more specific, the part I'm mostly worried about is this SATA card ( amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESFEI…tailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I would be really surprized if OMV identifies it without drivers.

I would appreciate any clarification regarding installing drivers manually if needed.

Thanks a lot!
    • The card is based on a Marvell 88SE9705 chipset.

Should be natively recognize, so no driver problem.
      Lian Li PC-V354 with Be Quiet fans | Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R | Intel E8400@3,6Ghz | 6GB DDR2 RAM
      1x500MB SSD for System/Backup | 7x2To HDD with ZFS RAIDz2 for Datas/Snapshots
      Powered by OMV v4.1.7 / Kernel 4.16.x / ZFS 0.7.9
    • sbocquet wrote:

The card is based on a Marvell 88SE9705 chipset.

Oh OK, nice!
      I have so much to learn yet... I'm really grateful for people who reply on forums :) .

What about the other components though? Like ethernet, USB, audio (not that I need it). Is it safe to assume they'll all be detected automatically? (the PC I'm salvaging is a DEll optiplex 7010).

If anyone has a tutorial already made please share it in case someone reaches here and needs to know how to install a driver.

Thanks again!
    • raulfg3 wrote:

Is more easy that you think.
      1 - do a new fresh install of OMV on new hardware ( this install appropriate drivers for your hardware).
      2 - Attach the disk.
      3 - Create appropriate shares and services.
      4 - Copy data from Raspi to New hardware
      Done, now you can finish to configure service & dockers to use your data.
      Thank you for the reply. I forgot to quote you when replying initially.
    • hekmatk wrote:

sbocquet wrote:

The card is based on a Marvell 88SE9705 chipset.

Oh OK, nice!I have so much to learn yet... I'm really grateful for people who reply on forums :) .

What about the other components though? Like ethernet, USB, audio (not that I need it). Is it safe to assume they'll all be detected automatically? (the PC I'm salvaging is a DEll optiplex 7010).

If anyone has a tutorial already made please share it in case someone reaches here and needs to know how to install a driver.

Thanks again!
      That's standard hardware with intel Core processor and Lan. There should be no problem with it. Don't know what is the audio chipset (why audio in a NAS !??? lol) but I assume that it will be too, as Linux have a good driver support nowadays.
      Go on, there should be no problem with it.
      Lian Li PC-V354 with Be Quiet fans | Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R | Intel E8400@3,6Ghz | 6GB DDR2 RAM
      1x500MB SSD for System/Backup | 7x2To HDD with ZFS RAIDz2 for Datas/Snapshots