ZFS device(s) not listed in devices dropdown

• Hi!

I created an issue for omv yesterday, because I can't create new shares on my ZFS device anymore. The issue got closed because it seems to be caused by the ZFS plugin (see last post of the issue).

When I set up my NAS a few month I used OMV v4.0.X with the ZFS plugin v4.0 to create the ZFS pool and all shares. After setting up the NAS I updated all system packages on a regular basis (but not the kernel).

Yesterday I tried to create a new shared folder but the device dropdown menu in the "Add shared folder" popup is empty. The device name for all previous created shares is set to "n/a" in the shared folder overview, but all shared folders are mounted and accessible.

When I try to edit an existing shared folder, I get the following error message:

Some basic infos about my system:

Kind regards
    Teeminus

• Same for me
    Disk usage tab for my ZFS pool has vanished from GUI !

and here too
    Finding the correct mntent UUID for a filesystem not in config.xml

There is definitively a problem with ZFS plugin or something related too, and that's not the version of the kernel...

Check if you still have the <mntent> section of your ZFS pool in config.xml. You can copy the section back, but it will be deleted at some point... don't know by what at the moment.

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sbocquet ()

• Did you export / import the pool by the WebUI for any reason? With OMV 3.x there where issues after exporting / importing the pool.

The implementation of the ZFS features in OMV is provided by the ZFS plugin. Unfortunately the ZFS functionality is not part of the basic OMV system maintaind by votdev. Therefore almost all reported issues are immediately closed because of this reason. @ryecoaaron and other mods here in the forum do their very best to solve some of the issues.

IMHO ZFS should not be used with OMV because one have always to calculate that something will go wrong after the next update. Far to unstable for such an important thing like a file system. And to check every update in a virtual machine before installing it on the productive system is not an real option for me. And I didn´t have the time for this.

Personally I have a running OMV 3 system with ZFS. I do not touch it. I know some of the drawbacks of the ZFS plugin and how to bypass them. But in the end I always feel uncomfortable while using ZFS with OMV.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• The ZFS pool was created 2/3 weeks ago with the plugin.
    It runs nicely since without a problem since, and continue to... but something is removing the <mntent> section of the pool in config.xml. If I re-add the section in the OMV config file, all the problems are solved.
    In that case, I doubt that ZFS himself is in fault. That's something with the pluging itself or in OMV.

ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are two problems with zfs:

1 - zfs pools not being found at boot. This is not an omv issue but I'm not sure if the plugin could something to help.

2 - fixOMVMntEnt is called whenever getObjectTree and that is called whenever the plugin's main panel is loaded or when you view details. If the pool/filesystem isn't found at boot time, this will remove the zfs mntent entries for those pools/filesystems. This is bad but not sure how to fix since zfs doesn't do things normal.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• But there maybe a thing to check like if this mntent is used by a sharedfolder to avoid to delete it if it is used?

• Offizieller Beitrag

But there maybe a thing to check like is this mntent is used by a sharedfolder to avoid to delete it if it is used?

That would probably help. I still think this function is dangerous. The mntent entries should be relatively static. This functions makes them very dynamic.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• The fact is that this entry is remove even after boot time... I gonna test to re-add it and go to the plugin panel to see what happens...

EDIT : Bingo ! That's it !
    On a current working conf, no reboot...
    - I copy back the ZFS pool mount section in config.xml.
    - In the GUI, move to several place, tab, etc... except ZFS panel tab. No change in config.xml.
    - In the GUI, move to ZFS panel. config.xml is modified and the ZFS pool mount section is remove...

Done several times

• I can confirm that when I add in an entry for a "vanished" drive, not only do associated shares continue to fail to show a mount point, but the mntent disk entry is deleted from config.xml post boot, presumably by the mechanism above. Could it be that the ZFS plugin expects some magic in the mntent UUID entries?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Done several times

I figured that was causing the problem. Thank you for confirming it. @subzero79 and I trying to come up with a good solution.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why does the ZFS pool has to be present at boot time?

It doesn't have to be for the plugin but it they are never found at all, that is a problem. Someone shouldn't have to manually import pools after a reboot.

Wouldn't it be sufficient to poll the pools/check for the available pools every time the device list is requested?

Yuck. The filesystems tab updates every few seconds. If you have a lot of pools/filesystems/snapshots, it would take forever. Personally, I don't like when the filesystem is not mounted right at boot and stays that way. I wish zfs did things the Linux way.

• I think that 99% of the ZFS users mount their data pool at boot time. ZoL and the plugin does it that way, and that's the way to do things.
    That's not a USB disk thing... to play with ;) Will you play with a mdadm RAID array at each reboot ???