Debian 9 on QNAP TS-210 + OMV

• Hi all,

It's my first post on this forum! I've used OMV on Intel x86 hardware but I have two QNAP "NAS" devices laying around. And I'd like to know if I can install OMV on these ARM "Feroceon". Debian itself is installable, and I will do that in a few days.

I'm just wondering if it can be done.

Thanks,

• I'll try to install OMV on top of it

On slow ARM devices the best idea is to install OMV this way:

Code
    sudo apt install git
    git clone https://github.com/armbian/config
    sudo /bin/bash config/softy

See here for details:

• The so called Feroceon is an old Marvell Kirkwood processor and it's a POS for a lack of better terms. It's a custom ARM9 job and it's a terribly slow processor, although for whatever reason, it was very popular among all the NAS manufacturers, most likely due to its very low cost.
    I highly doubt you'll see much in terms of a performance improvement moving from QNAP's bloatware to OMV though. On the plus side, you'll be running a supported OS.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Hi all,

I've successfully installed OMV 4.x on my old QNAP TS-210.

I've tried to install Debian to an external USB 2.0 pen, but It was painfully slow.
    I made a new installation on the first internal HDD, a 10Gb partition is enough.

Installing OMV is just a matter of following the tutorial on this forum.

It works fine.

As for transfer speeds, they're not the fastest, but it's mostly like the original firmware - write 16Mb/s, read 20Mb/s.

• Sry for awaking this Zombie-Thread:

I have here a QNAP TS-221 with Feroceon running OMV 3.0.99. I installed two drives, one for the System, one as a Data-Device. I use it as a Backup-Server doing rsync-issues with my primary Server.

1. is it it possible by the Method above to force OMV4 running on the System

2. Can I update / upgrade the System to 4.x

Greetings Micha

Q29000-ITX
    omv 4.1.8.2 | 64 bit | backport kernel | omvextras

• Will this work on a customized Debian? I Mean i'll come from customized Jessie to Stretch ... as far as I understand ;-))

Q29000-ITX
    omv 4.1.8.2 | 64 bit | backport kernel | omvextras

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!