raid 5 with 2 disks possible?

• Heyo all, so I just got a new motherboard and case

I currently run OMV on 1 160GB disk and data on 1 500GB disk, so I'm gonna replace the case and Motherboard and run raid 5 (with 6 data-disks) only problem is that my motherboard only have 4 SATA ports, so I want to plug 2 disks (raid 5) in and then plug the data drive (and OMV system disk) in to NAS (so thats 2x new drives 1x old days drive and 1x system drive), when the data is complete copying to the new 2x disks I want to unplug the old drive and extend the 2 disks (in RAID 5) with a third disk and extend it with even more drives once my SATA to PCI-E (RAID controller??) Comes :)

TL;DR: can I raid 5 2 disks and extend it with more disks in a few weeks :)

also: what other RAID method do OMV support?

Also also: can I simply move my OMV drive
    to another pc and will it boot?

• hello,
    raid5 starts only from 3 disks.
    Maybe you should able to start from Raid1 (2 discs) and then, transform to raid5 by adding Third disc.
    in this case, i 'd rather choose raid5 with 3 disks starting from scratch.

• Offizieller Beitrag

can I raid 5 2 disks and extend it with more disks in a few weeks

Not from the web interface and it is a bad idea anyway since you would lose all data if one disk failed.

also: what other RAID method do OMV support?

Why raid? It isn't backup. If you are just looking to pool the drives, the unionfilesystem plugin will do that. Once you have 3+ drives, then you could snapraid for redundancy and bit rot protection.

can I simply move my OMV drive
    to another pc and will it boot?

Most of the time. You will have to fix networking though - omv-firstaid will do that.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• yeah i know that raid 5 is not a "backup" im not looking for a backup system, im simply looking for as much space as possible without easily loosing all of my data, so with raid 5 if one drive fails i can just replace that drive, and rebuild, if however 2 drives fail at the same time, it would suck but the risk of loosing data in rand 5 is alot smaller if i just use something like Raid 0, so if 2 drives fail then its somewhat okay :)

i dunno what SnapRaid is, is it for taking a backup of say Raid 0 or Raid 5 ? or is it like its own Raid-system ???

litterely never heard about "unionfilesystem" can you explain like what this does?

edit: so union file system looks kinda like Raid 0, but if 1 disk fail, i will only loose the data on that disk, and i can repace it with a working disk and "recover" from SnapRaid? so how much space do SnapRaid require for backups?

• Offizieller Beitrag

i dunno what SnapRaid is, is it for taking a backup of say Raid 0 or Raid 5 ? or is it like its own Raid-system ???

snapraid is a lot like raid 5 but doesn't run in real time. You schedule the sync. If you have data that doesn't change often, this is perfect. It also has the advantage (disadvantage for speed) that all drives don't spin up to access a file.

litterely never heard about "unionfilesystem" can you explain like what this does?

It pools the drives so that they looked like one big drive. It uses mergerfs.

so union file system looks kinda like Raid 0, but if 1 disk fail, i will only loose the data on that disk, and i can repace it with a working disk and "recover" from SnapRaid? so how much space do SnapRaid require for backups?

Yes, you only lose the data on that disk and the pool keeps working.
    Yes, you can replace the failed disk with a working disk and recover the files with snapraid.
    It uses one disk (the largest in the pool) for each level of parity you select. So, most setups would be identical to raid 5 - one disk dedicated to parity. The other difference is that you can use all of the space on each non-parity drive (if the drives are different sizes).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!