Video codec and subtitles

• Greetings.

I've installed OMV 3.0.99 recently for the first time with the intention to archive my movies / tv series collection (roughly 20TB atm) and I stumble on two issues.

Using minidlna for streaming to my smart tv (its a low cost local brand) and I've notice that some movie folders showing empty directory through mini dlna.

There are actually files that I can run via samba from win 10 pc so I suppose is the video encoding of the mp4 files that preventing them to show.

Do you know any way that i can bypass that?

Another problem that I've stumble on is that even if I've srt files inside the folders the tv wont show them.

Is there anyway to see srt subtitles?

Thank you in advance :)

• With minidlna, No.
    It's a "strict" ans simple DLNA server with no transcoding. It just streams files. Your renderer (the TV or other) should have the correct codecs to show the file. Same for the srt files, that not in the DLNA specs. DLNA is a crapy thing, that each manufacturer implement in its way :( Sony was probably the worst one !...

If you want all that (transcoding on fly + SRT), you will have to install another DLNA server than minidlna, such as Serviio, plex media server, ... but you will need more CPU power to do it.

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

• I've thought so.

I've the system running on a intel dual core with 4gb ddr2 ram and using plex and serviio produces lot of audio lag and syncing problems.

I will use it for now as file server, which is partially fulfill my needs.

Thank you.

• That should be enough for Serviio, as I was running it on my NAS hardware with Windows 2012 Server Essential without a problem.
    What is your intel dual core model?

Maybe it's a network problem rather than a CPU power one. If you stream some mkv with 7.1 audio channels, that can take some bandwith...

ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

• Its an Intel core duo E8500 3.2Ghz.

Most of the files are are 720p/1080p, mostly 2.0 audio channels but with high encoding for saving space.

I believe the problem was oriented in the switch (I was using a 10/100) and I've replace it yesterday with a Netgear Gigabit.

I'll give a shot with again with plex but I've also read that UMS is very good as well and I'll test it next.

• The CPU is more than enough as I have a E8400@3,6Ghz and I had no problem with Serviio transcoding.

The switch is for sure a bottleneck for large file. A Gigabit one should solve that too... so you can run the DLNA server you want IMO.