Build a minipc nas, but which?

• Evening :)

I'm new to the forum, first post :D

I would to make a home nas with openmediavault, so i can have a minipc always downloading and seeding 24/7.

My first thought was to buy a Raspberry and a WD Red with some docking station or case so to power it separately.

Then i read this https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=154980#post154980

So i don't know what to do anymore :P

What you think is the best choice for me? I was looking for the ODROID-HC2

I like it.

My "problem" is i can't buy drive and minipc in one time.

So i wanted to buy the wd red and its docking station or case and then, next month probably, buy the minipc.

If the ODROID-HC2 is a good solution, the docking station or case i buy is useless :/

(Doubt: My wd Red drive would powered fine in the ORDOID-HC2?)

Or maybe the EspressoBin is a good solution.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

• That looks like a good way to do it. The rock 64 makes a good small NAS too. It has gigabit Ethernet and a USB 3 port. It's not quite that fast, but still very speedy using a decent usb3 SATA adapter.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Yep, i'm just afraid of being "alone".
    If i buy one of these SBC, what happens if i've a problem? The pro side of Raspberry is that they're very well known and have a very large active community :huh:

@tkaiser what you think? about this and my first post questions? :)

• If i buy one of these SBC, what happens if i've a problem?

You ask a question here, in ODROID forum or Pine64 IRC as everyone else. In case you are really keen on using a slow and crappy NAS better choose the RPi 3B+ and be prepared that you will be left alone with every question that can not be answered by a simple web search (check the networking section in RPi forum and have a laugh -- huge community mostly consisting of clueless users).

Choosing an RPi over the ODROID-HC2 is just insane and of course asking for troubles (you realized that various network troubles with the new RPi?)

• You ask a question here, in ODROID forum or Pine64 IRC as everyone else. In case you are really keen on using a slow and crappy NAS better choose the RPi 3B+ and be prepared that you will be left alone with every question that can not be answered by a simple web search (check the networking section in RPi forum and have a laugh -- huge community mostly consisting of clueless users).
    Choosing an RPi over the ODROID-HC2 is just insane and of course asking for troubles (you realized that various network troubles with the new RPi?)

Yes, of course i'll not choose the pi, i really like this odroid :D

There are a couple of things i don't understand, maybe noobs question... i had just a limited experience with slackware in the past :)

1. I foud this https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid…eshooting/shutdown_script
    could you give me some information on this? I don't understand exactly what's that about :/

2. I read a thing in a post you made:
    "Personally I consider using eMMC for an OMV OS drive a waste of resources. Just buy a quality card, check for counterfeit stuff, optionally do a full erase with SD Association's 'SD Formatter' (sends the card an ERASE CMD38 which is an equivalent to TRIM on SSDs), then burn with Etcher and use the flashmemory plugin (enabled by default on all ARM images).

All OMV images for ARM (except RPi) use btrfs so it's easy to run a 'btrfs scrub' monthly so you always know when your card starts to get bad.
    "

My question is, what's a counterfeit micro sd card? How can i recognize it?

Thanks!!!

• 1. I foud this wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/troubleshooting/shutdown_script
    could you give me some information on this? I don't understand exactly what's that about

Some people report that even with latest firmware update for the JMS578 on the board the board cuts power to the disk when shutting down instead of letting the disk spin down before. Installing this script fixes it, in case questions arise simply ask in ODROID forum in the appropriate thread. With Raspberries depending on the product you use it can be much worse (just read through this horror compilation)

Wrt counterfeit SD cards: https://docs.armbian.com/User-…#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card

Simply choose a SanDisk Ultra A1 card, check with f3 for fake capacity and then also random IO performance as outlined here: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…ab=comments#comment-49811 (instructions in first post of the thread)

• I never imagined this! Thank you!

Just to be sure i got the point.

I connect the ODROID to ehthernet, microsd, and power.

Then i let it boot.
    After some seconds i can put my drive in.

Find the ip and then configure what i need.

Right? But how can i know that the board has ended the initialization of openmediavault?

And i've another noob question, all things, plugins etc. i go to install are installed on the microsd right? Because i read that i don't have that type of access to the drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to install OMV on HC1/HC2 (skip the part concerning disassembly of external hard drive):

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid…/omv_nas/eng/01_beginning

all things, plugins etc. i go to install are installed on the microsd right? Because i read that i don't have that type of access to the drive.

OMV will install the plugins on the SD card. You do not have access to the SD card through the GUI of OMV in a standard installation.
    If you need you can get access to the SD card using SSH (e.g. using Putty on Windows). But be carefull, it is easy to break the system. Try to do everything from the GUI of OMV. If it does not work ask in this forum, first.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to install OMV on HC1/HC2

Nice guide :)

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I've to say that i'm very happy i found this piece of software and this community. You're very kind!

EDIT: As i can read from the HC2 page: UHS-1 capable micro-SD card slot for boot media.
    So it's compatible with A1 standard?
    What's a good size? 16GB?

And, I should install this just to be safe or can avoid it? This because I read that best thing is to not use the shell but only the gui https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid…eshooting/shutdown_script

• Just after the boot, i see i can check for updates. This way the entire openmediavault will update to the latest version?

All packages are updated on first boot automagically anyway with the ARM images if you follow the readme.txt and connect board to the network. Then a reboot occurs after a few minutes and then the board is ready afterwards.

• Evening :)

Little question:

In the Odroid download page i read this statement "The last partition for data use will be automatically resized on first boot to use all available SD card space. Though you need to put your filesystem of choice on it (eg mkfs.btrfs /dev/mmcblk0p3)"

This is something i've to do manually? Do not understand :S

Thanks!! :)

• steakhutzeee

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!