RAID 5 not fault tolerant

• I have a RAID5 (5 disks) configured using the OMV GUI. I am running OMV 4.1.4-1.
    Whilst working on the machine while shut down I accidentally unclipped one of the drives (SATA cable). I started the machine up and noticed that the RAID was not detected, and the file system on the RAID was listed as missing.

I found this post on the forum:
    RAID Array missing after failed drive. Trying to rebuild
    The above thread from post 10 pretty much describes my symptoms (except I have 5 disks) and I am (relatively) sure that the commands posted by ryecoaaron in post 11 will solve my problem. The question is, why does the RAID not start, but in a degraded mode, automatically, and the file system mounted? I could then add another disk, rebuild, and move on. Is there a way to tell OMV to start degraded RAIDs (so that they can be rebuilt)? Isn't that the purpose of RAID5 (to be fault tolerant if one disk is missing)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don’t use raid (I use to) but I think the idea is fault tolerant during live operation. Most real servers would have a spare(s) disk that will enter the array as soon as one is failed.

From what ive learn when i use to have raid setup and reading about it , when a raid5 rebuilds in a degraded state will induce serious stress on the disks, that can cause a second disk to fail which would mean data lost.

Omv provides just a web configuration panel for raid. Everything done under is controlled by the md driver and mdadm utilities supplied by Debian kernel and packages.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!