My NAS move from FreeNAS Muad Dib to OMV on a new systems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hey. Thanks for the hint. Basically, I don't care using all the space for OMV.

I have a backup of the OMV4 Disk both physically and digitally.

Any hints for the preferences/setting moving from 4 to 5?

Thanks

Just something to think about...

At this point... 6 will probably be out in a couple of months, and then 5 will probably EOL shortly thereafter... You've used 4 this long, if it's working.. just use it till 6 comes out and clean install 6.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's a script that will upgrade from 4 to 5 but there may an issue (or two) when running it. It's better, in my opinion, to do a clean install versus rolling an existing but unknown problem, into a new version.

• Agree so far... If 6 is coming soon I'd maybe wait.

Nevertheless I build a virtual Machine to test the migration to 5 and play around with it.

I came across the "issue" that Flashmemory plugin was not visible in the List of plugins. I recall that this was the case in 4 earlier...(Hence I knew it exists).

Does this become accessible after an installation of some updates?

So far I created a RAID 5 in the VM and ripped out one of the drives (virtually of course). OMV recognized and left an degraded RAID as expected. Because the drive needs to be mounted manually first to rebuild the RAID, I need access to a CLI.

This left me on the WebGui not able to get on the CLI in the first place.

Is there a Plugin or so that allows CLI access from the webpage?

Or do I need to SSH remotely?

In general it would be a nice feature in OMV to handle a broken raid completely remotly via WebGui (being a Linux Rookie this might be just a nice User-Wish). This makes the Likely case more easy for unexperienced users to rebuild their NAS RAID...

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can check the flashmemory plugin with:

folder2ram -status (and)
    folder2ram -syncall

Look for "successful" in the various /var folders.

If it's not running (in OMV5) it can be installed with the following one line script command:

wget -O - <a href="https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install">https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install</a> | sudo bash

Because the drive needs to be mounted manually first to rebuild the RAID, I need access to a CLI.

This left me on the WebGui not able to get on the CLI in the first place.

Is there a Plugin or so that allows CLI access from the webpage?

Or do I need to SSH remotely?

SSH in from a LAN client. This will get you started. -> PuTTY .

In general it would be a nice feature in OMV to handle a broken raid completely remotly via WebGui (being a Linux Rookie this might be just a nice User-Wish). This makes the Likely case more easy for unexperienced users to rebuild their NAS RAID...

OMV can handle RAID recovery from the GUI but handling the hardware end of it, in a VM, is not the same.

On physical hardware:

- Remove the failed disk (be sure you remove the correct disk) and install a new one.
    - Boot up.
    - Wipe the new disk in Storage, Disks
    - In Storage, RAID Management, click the Recover Button.
    - Add the new disk to the array.

**EDIT: You can even get past the physical drive swap "if" you have an extra drive in the server. In that case, it can all be done by remote.**

• Offizieller Beitrag

So far I created a RAID 5 in the VM and ripped out one of the drives (virtually of course). OMV recognized and left an degraded RAID as expected

That's because it's in a VM, do that on a physical drive and the Raid will return as inactive, mdadm does not recognise 'hot-swap' drives

• You can check the flashmemory plugin with:

folder2ram -status (and)
    folder2ram -syncall

Look for "successful" in the various /var folders.

If it's not running (in OMV5) it can be installed with the following one line script command:

wget -O - <a href="https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install">https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install</a> | sudo bash

Hey. I used

Code
    sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/packages/raw/master/install | sudo bash

to get OMVExtras 5.6.0 installed (which now appear in my list of Extensions/"Erweiterungen", also active).

In the SSH Shell it appeared to install successfully, too.

Unfortunately the Flashmemory plugin is still not visible in extensions or under "storage".

It then appeared to me that only SATA Hard-Drives are mounted in the OMV-VM-

Does OMV recognize Flash drives and is my VMPlayer 14 probably not able to deliver this message to OMV?
    Anyway I would think the FlashMemory Plugin would appear anyway....

Any other plugins I need to activate/ Install?

EDIT: Obviously I had the tresting repo and extras repo deactivated... Flashmemory now appears

• OK.. while the activation of the Flashmemory Plugin on the OMV5 VM worked.... although a bit tricky to activate.

So I though I might get on the real machine with OMV4 and simply activate the flashmemory plugin.... until OMV6 is out.

I have OMV Extras Version 4.1.7 installed, OMV-Extras /-Testing is activated - but again Flashmemory plugin is not visible...X(

Why is this? What Am I doing wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

while the activation of the Flashmemory Plugin on the OMV5 VM worked.... although a bit tricky to activate.

How is it tricky? You just install the plugin. The optional steps are really optional.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well Tricky for noobs I...

I went through exactly that documentation for OMV5 VM FlashMem/Extras installation.

Without checking those...

"(Optional, but recommended)

Under System, OMV-Extras:

In the Settings Tab, highlight OMV-Extras.org Testing and click Edit. Enable and Save."

...my Flasplugin in the VM wasn't visible.

For OMV4 I'd need an OMV4 Extras .deb file to upload (Which I had tried, too), but anyway 4.1.7 Extas are installed, I just can't see/find the flashmemplugin anywhere.

Hence the question if there is some documentation for the OMV4 extras flashmem installation... Must be similar I guess, but still GUI looks different and features too from 4->5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Without checking those...

"(Optional, but recommended)

Under System, OMV-Extras:

In the Settings Tab, highlight OMV-Extras.org Testing and click Edit. Enable and Save."

...my Flasplugin in the VM wasn't visible.

The plugin is not in the testing repo. Enabling the testing repo just basically runs apt-get update. I can't answer why you couldn't see it. This is why I have always recommended the install script since it runs the apt-get update.

For OMV4 I'd need an OMV4 Extras .deb file to upload (Which I had tried, too), but anyway 4.1.7 Extas are installed, I just can't see/find the flashmemplugin anywhere.

Hence the question if there is some documentation for the OMV4 extras flashmem installation... Must be similar I guess, but still GUI looks different and features too from 4->5.

Once again, I have no idea why you have problems with this but if OMV 4 isn't working, that is part of the problem with using and EOL'd release.

The plugin is almost identical between 4 and 5 from the GUI. But once again, you just need to install. No need to do the optional steps.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!