My NAS move from FreeNAS Muad Dib to OMV on a new systems.

• I did search a bit through the forum and tried some commands. UNfortunately I cannot access SSH so I cant copy them to full extend here.

Tried
    cat /proc/mdstat
    blkid
    fdisk -l | grep "Disk "

mdstat shows all 3 Raided Disks in md0 and active so looks ok.
    blkid shows sda, sdb and sde (the md0 ext 4 RAID5) and the two sdc1 and sdd1 - those two are my UFS drives.
    sdc1 and sdd1 have exactly the same entries and numbers for LABEL, UUID, TYPE and PARTUUID but apart from that nothing obviously wroong points to my eye....
    fdisk though showed something:
    on sdb and sdc it says Backup GPT table is corrupt, but the primary seems OK, so that will be used.

Does this point somebody to an obvious issue?
    I am a bit lost...

• Offizieller Beitrag

But as I want to hotplug this drive (I do not want to leave it connected all the time for good reason but store it away in another place), how can it be unplugged?

The drive used in with usbbackup plugin as a target is never mounted in the Filesystems tab and would never be referenced. Therefore, it does not have an entry in fstab and shouldn't cause boot problems. If the usb disk had the same label as a disk permanently mounted in the OMV box, you might have issues.

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-StorageRaid5 couldn't be found on /dev/md0 Raid

This seems to be your real issue.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Having summarized output is not really helpful. And yes, I realize you don't have cut and paste. If you created the array in OMV, the GPT table being corrupt wouldn't matter since OMV created raid arrays don't use partitions.

If I were you, I would have manually mounted ufs drives (since support isn't all that good in Linux) and rsync'd them (from the command line) to your storage. Then I would have wiped the ufs drives and put a good filesystem on them.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• So

is preventing the system to boot to webGUI and restrict SSH access too? Shouldn't OMV system be unaffected to be able to debug?

Anyway it has me now. I don't know how to progress other than starting from scratch....
    I've made my backup so this should be ok, but I'd be interested in what this is before moving on..

• Offizieller Beitrag

For some reason, the mount point doesn't exist. Boot a rescue cd and make the mountpoint.

is preventing the system to boot to webGUI and restrict SSH access too?

If the system doesn't boot completely, the web interface and ssh will never start.

Shouldn't OMV system be unaffected to be able to debug?

This has nothing to do with OMV. This is a Linux situation. This is why single user mode and rescue disks exist. freebsd would be the same way if there was something preventing it from booting.

Filesystems are mounted nofail in the fstab which should let the system keep booting even if a filesystem is unavailable (unless it is root). But you have a raid array that has to be found otherwise the system gets angry. Are the raid drives usb by any chance?

• HI. RAID Drives are all SATA 6G. Backupdrive is eSATA 6G. Boot drive is USB2IDE disk

I'll try to boot from USB and try to restore the mountpoint... Let's see If I manage that 8|

Thanks so far...

• ...on the root cli I was able to mount the md0 array.

I used
    mkdir /dev/md0 to create the mountpoint /mnt/md0 and then mounted the /dev/md0 to that which worked ok and on cli I can now see my Raid data.

So far so good.

but how would I convince OMV system to do so during booting?
    Can't I repair from root cli so I don't need a systemrescue cd or USB stick?

• Offizieller Beitrag

but how would I convince OMV system to do so during booting?
    Can't I repair from root cli so I don't need a systemrescue cd or USB stick?

Doesn't your grub menu have a rescue entry?

• grub countains 4 Entries
    OMV4.16
    OMV4.16 recovery mode
    OMV4.9
    OMV4.9. recovery mode´

In the meantime fdisk -l /dev/sdc  yielded:

GPT PMBR size mismatch (size differs by one) will be corrected by w(rite).
    The backup GPT is corrupt, but the primary appears OK, so that will be used.

Is this defect MBR the error?

it is otherwise correctly identified as a FreeBSD UFS.
    the other disks a,b, d, e and f appear ok.

Basically I was ready to put sdc / sdd into md0 Array, I was able to mount them and back them up.
    could I "wipe" sdc ?
    I read about wipefs but do not understand it fully. When wiping the MBR how can it then be accessed... pretty rookie here too...
    or format sdc?

• Soo...

finally i was again a bit frustrated about my non-knowledge of Linux and decided from a time perspective it would be best to clean the system and rebuild.

I am now back on OMV 3 and had extended the Raid, which needed to be done again on CLI as this doesn't work in OMV webgui for whatever reason.

The ubuntu Community was really helpful here.

A problem is that the mdadm after wiping the UFS disks on after the other and the new systems and after rebooting showed /dev/md127 instead of /dev/md0 as before.... obviously a common issue in mdadm.
    I wasn't ablt to rectify this yet and it still is md127 but I can access it and the raid 5 is now online after 9h of extension, checks and rebuild with 3.5TB (I was expecting something closer to 4).

A good thing is that all in all the data was so far never lost because of any user Errors, fails or oddities...

• Hallo Leute,

ich habe ganz vergessen zu berichten.

Nach oben benanntem Neueinrichten läuft das NAS nun recht einwandfrei.

Ich habe es nur selten and und fahre es nur hoch wenn ich Daten brauche. reicht mir hin.
    Gebackuped wird per Hand mit einer externen Platte und Freefilesync aufträgen.

Bisher funktioniert das ganz gut.

leider funktionieren die email-Benachrichtigungen nicht (mehr). Ich bin der Meinung das ich die während der Testphase erfolgreich erhalten habe (über gmx oder web.de), nun klappts aber leider nicht mehr.

Nach einigem Lesen habe ich rausgefunden das GMX und Web.de scheinbar das problem sind.

Ich habe zwar ein googlemail konto möchte aber nicht zu viele Konten warten und aufmachen.

Woran liegt es das Web.de und gmx nicht funktionieren?

Nochwas: Wie zuverlässig funktioniert die RAM auslastung und Erkennung in der Übersicht?
    Ich hatte schon mehrfach den Fall das nur 2 statt 4 GB angezeigt werden. 2x 2 GB Riegel sind drin. Die waren gebraucht und ggf ist einer ja defekt, aber ich bin der Meinung das sich das Bios dann beschweren sollte bzw der Rechner nicht startet.

• EDIT: Sorry guys, I realized to late I wrote i ngerman :) Will continue in English later....

Hallo Leute,

ich habe ganz vergessen zu berichten.

Nach oben benanntem Neueinrichten läuft das NAS nun recht einwandfrei.

Ich habe es nur selten and und fahre es nur hoch wenn ich Daten brauche. reicht mir hin.
    Gebackuped wird per Hand mit einer externen Platte und Freefilesync aufträgen.

Bisher funktioniert das ganz gut.

leider funktionieren die email-Benachrichtigungen nicht (mehr). Ich bin der Meinung das ich die während der Testphase erfolgreich erhalten habe (über gmx oder web.de), nun klappts aber leider nicht mehr.

Nach einigem Lesen habe ich rausgefunden das GMX und Web.de scheinbar das problem sind.

Ich habe zwar ein googlemail konto möchte aber nicht zu viele Konten warten und aufmachen.

Woran liegt es das Web.de und gmx nicht funktionieren?

Nochwas: Wie zuverlässig funktioniert die RAM auslastung und Erkennung in der Übersicht?
    Ich hatte schon mehrfach den Fall das nur 2 statt 4 GB angezeigt werden. 2x 2 GB Riegel sind drin. Die waren gebraucht und ggf ist einer ja defekt, aber ich bin der Meinung das sich das Bios dann beschweren sollte bzw der Rechner nicht startet.

• Hey guys.

My OMV is running as intended for some years now with rare use oaccasionaly.

Of course I missed to update regularly, so update requests for the underlying linux System now fail.

OMV tells me that the system is basically to old to be updated.

Back then when I build the NAS, I used a left-over 40GB 1.8" IDE Drive as the system drive. This Drive is pretty Old and it was on schedule to be replaced after a couple of years anyway.

To not block the SATA ports of my System, the boot drive is hooked up with a USB-to-IDE Adapter, which works fine and the system boots from it.

Some things now (forgive the rookie questions):

As I plan to replace the bootdrive:

- does it make sense to put a new, clean up-to-date OMV image to it and re-mount my RAID? Is there anything to do before replacing the Boot drive like unmounting the RAID?

- plan to run SSD Sata drive connected to a USB Interface again for booting. I am worried a bit about TRIM and BSM. Would assume OMV covers that for SSD boot drives, but is this true for USB attached SSDs as well?

- Can the update Process somehow be automated so I don't run into not-being-able-to-update issues in the future?

Thanks for some recommendations and tricks :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

does it make sense to put a new, clean up-to-date OMV image to it and re-mount my RAID? Is there anything to do before replacing the Boot drive like unmounting the RAID?

I think a clean install would be better. You don't have to do anything with the existing install. Shut it down, disconnect the array, install omv, re-connect the array. I would backup your old install just in case.

plan to run SSD Sata drive connected to a USB Interface again for booting. I am worried a bit about TRIM and BSM. Would assume OMV covers that for SSD boot drives, but is this true for USB attached SSDs as well?

While trim is not normally enabled on usb sata devices, I would just install the flashmemory plugin (to reduce writes) and you shouldn't need to worry about iit.

Can the update Process somehow be automated so I don't run into not-being-able-to-update issues in the future?

Security updates are automatically installed now with the latest OMV 5.x. But I don't recommend automating all updates. You really should just take the time to login to the system once a month and install updates.

• Thanks for the prompt reply.

Will then be shoping for a new Sysdisk. Probably I just by an external SSD Drive with USB IF, which should as before and report.

By backing up the install, you mean not just cloning the old sysdisk, right? I was about to get the old disk out of the system and store it away until the new Sysdisk runs.... Do you recommend to backup (=clone drive) additionally?

Flashmemory Plugin is a good hint thanks! Will install that...

Thanks again...

• Offizieller Beitrag

you mean not just cloning the old sysdisk, right? I was about to get the old disk out of the system and store it away until the new Sysdisk runs.... Do you recommend to backup (=clone drive) additionally?

If you are going store the old disk, that is good enough.

• Hello. I successfully moved the old system to a new System SSD with Clonezilla.

Basically I am still running on old 4.x OMV but the migration to the new disk worked.

I split the 120GB SysDrive into 3 partitions, one hosting the old 4.x system of the old PATA drive.

Another one should be used for the OMV 5 Upgrade.And the third is there just in case I need to backup a system to another partition.

The USB Stick with the OMV5 ISO etched to it is prepared.

Tomorrow I will backup the raid again to my offline Backup Disk.

(I do this with FreeFileSync via a PC that has the FFS configs)

Before installing OMV5 and mounting the Raid, is there a way to export/import the current OMV4 system settings to the new OMV5.x?

Or will it have to be set up newly due to too many differences in the systems?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Word to the wise... If you use the OMV ISO, it's going to nuke every partition on that SSD drive and install.

To do as you're asking,you'll have to install Debian 10 netinstall then install OMV on top of that. Instructions are in crashtest signature

• Hey. Thanks for the hint. Basically, I don't care using all the space for OMV.

I have a backup of the OMV4 Disk both physically and digitally.

Any hints for the preferences/setting moving from 4 to 5?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Before installing OMV5 and mounting the Raid, is there a way to export/import the current OMV4 system settings to the new OMV5.x?

Nope.

Best you can do, is to make screenshots of your settings.

(You already have a copy of your config.xml in your backup, but that should not be needed if you have the screenshots)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!