Core i7-6700k custom build

• Yes, yes, I know, very wasteful hardware on a NAS, but the CPU was a freebie and I already had the cooler and RAM.

Spec: Core i7-6700K under clocked to 3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi mini-ITX motherboard, Aquantia 10Gbps network card, Corsair H60 liquid cooler, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300 drives, 1x 60GB Corsair Force GT SSD for the OS, CFI A7979 chassis, 300W SFX PSU.

I can not recommend the chassis, it was terrible to work with and really fiddly to connect things like the power button to the motherboard header. Don't ask me how I got the liquid cooler in there, but somehow I managed. The drives are running at around 34-35 degrees C.

Performance is pretty decent over 10Gbps Ethernet.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von TheLostSwede ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would ditch the liquid cooler though.

Out of curiosity, why?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Just my preference. Liquid coolers aren't as reliable as air coolers. For a desktop machine, ok, but for a server components should be chosen with function and reliability in mind and air cooling is the way to go.

I'd hate to have the cooler spring a leak and short out the system, potentially losing many TB's worth of valuable data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just my preference. Liquid coolers aren't as reliable as air coolers. For a desktop machine, ok, but for a server components should be chosen with function and reliability in mind and air cooling is the way to go.

I'd hate to have the cooler spring a leak and short out the system, potentially losing many TB's worth of valuable data.

While I have had one liquid coolers fail, I have had many fans on air coolers fail too. I used an H50 on one of my servers for years with no issues. It was quieter and kept the cpu temp lower than an air cooler.

You don't have to worry about these corsair systems springing a leak since they are completely sealed. And if it did somehow leak, I wouldn't lose any data since it is backed up :thumbup:

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Like I said, personal preference. I have a Noctua air cooler on my i7-6800k desktop machine that I would put up against all but the biggest liquid coolers out there. You also won't find liquid coolers on production servers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a noctua on my main server too.

You also won't find liquid coolers on production servers.

Yet :)https://www.hpe.com/us/en/insi…g-in-five-years-1710.html

• I have a noctua on my main server too.

Yet :)https://www.hpe.com/us/en/insi…g-in-five-years-1710.html

i agree with jolllyrogr, air coolers is the best option to run on your (24/7) Server

things about watercoolers:

1, they are usally more expensive, (example: a CoolerMaster hyper 212 EVO is cheaper than a h60 and better at cooling than the 60 and then the 212evo is useally cheaper)

2, the pump is working more than a typical fan because it have to pump water through that is about much heavier than air and require alot more power to circulate than air too, therfor the pump have a higher failrate running 24/7 than a aircooler/fan

3, leakage (do i need to say more) yes a system like h50 and h60 is a closed loop, but remember it still contain water in the system, therefore it have a "infinity" times more chance at leaking water than a aircooler that have no liquid in them...

but a good thing about a watercooler is that is less stress on the Motherboard due to the low CPU pump weight vs a big bulky metal heatsink with a (sometimes 2 or more) fan on them...

just my 2 cents :)

goodnignt

• Sorry about the pictures, hopefully they'll work now. For some reason I couldn't submit the post with the pictures initially, not sure what went wrong.

The liquid cooler is there because the case has zero space for an air cooler. The designer of the case clearly figured only low-power SoCs would be used, so not much choice. That said, I have no concerns about using it, as these days, liquid coolers are very reliable. The AIO type ones don't leak, unless you damage them during install.
    It also helps draw away the heat from the CPU from the hard drives, which means they need less cooling, as the ambient case temp is lower.
    And again, it was left from a previous system, so it was at no extra cost.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!