updates - just check box 'Package information', click 'Upgrade' and be done with it?

• Not a big deal, but I've routinely been selecting just the updates I *think* I want/need on the Update Management screen. But I recently saw a video where someone was demonstrating how to install Plex and he selected all updates and let her rip.

Is that safe? First thing that comes to mind is there's a lot of firmware updates which can't possibly apply to every system. Right?

OTOH it would be nice to just routine update everything without hunting and pecking.

Thanks,
    Mark M

• Offizieller Beitrag

he selected all updates and let her rip.

I usually do. I have plenty of my Ubuntu systems on auto-update/reboot. I guess it just depends on your ability to fix something if it goes wrong.

Is that safe? First thing that comes to mind is there's a lot of firmware updates which can't possibly apply to every system. Right?

I think it is for the most part. I do my updates on a test system and then in order of importance from least to most important. Firmware packages install kernel modules that will never be used if your system doesn't have that device. Kernel version updates (ie 4.14 -> 4.15) themselves are probably the most risky especially if you are using something that compiles against the specific kernel version's headers.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!