VirtualBox does not work anymore

• Offizieller Beitrag

But what about (security) updates if I disable backports? Enabling backports, looking for potential vbox updates, disabling backports every week is not very convenient.

I don't have a solution for this other than leaving it enabled.

Whats the reason for not using the official virtualbox.org repo for Debian?

The package provided by that repo is much larger and installs unneeded components (like gui client stuff). It is also horrible when it comes to upgrades. We used to use it and switched because of this.

Is there any difference apart from that small version delay?

Yes. Debian patches the code for various reasons and separates the packages like I mentioned above. You would have to look at the patch file for exact changes.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for this explanation! :)
    I also remember that virtualbox from virtualbox.org has a lot of freaky dependencies and installs a lot of unwanted stuff. Didn't know that the debian version is so much better in this regard. This actually IS a huge argument for the debian backports version!

For now I'm satisfied with backports enabled. Please don't be annoyed because of my criticism for enabling backports. Now I understand that all in all this seems to be the best compromise. And from my own experience I can say that using omv and simply installing the omv-virtualbox plugin is so much more convenient than installing and configuring debian, virtualbox and phpvirtualbox on your own... Thank you for your work!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!