OMV 4 vs OMV3 ... benefits of upgrading ?

• Just trying to figure out what the advantages are of OMV4 vs OMV3 ?

I know that OMV4 is on top of a newer version of Debian, but what are the benefits of upgrading?

My main system is running OMV3 and I have a VM running OMV4
    ...... Other than they look slightly different and not all of the plugins are available in OMV4, it functions about the same.

This makes me think that the real changes or advantages are under the hood and unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough to understand what the advantages of OVM4 are.
    - Why should I or someone else upgrade ?

Thank you for any info.

• OMV 3 is built on Debian Jessie which will reach end of life (EOL) in June 2018. Long term support (LTS) is slated to begin for a two year period after reaching EOL. How extensive LTS support will be is not clear. Additionally, at some point the OMV developers will cease making non-Debian related updates, if they haven't done so already. None of this means that OMV 3 will suddenly stop working, just that it will eventually become non-supportable.

OMV 4 is built on Debian Stretch. No EOL or LTS dates have been set yet, but 2020 and 2022 would be reasonable estimates based on past history.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well maybe I should start thinking of upgrading .....

My OMV3 system has been running perfectly, so I am a little hesitant ....... however I should probably put together an upgrade plan

I have seen some posts with users upgrading from 3 to 4 with various levels of success.

The other option is to just perform a new install and reconfigure everything..... kind of a pain

All the plugins I use are available in OMV4 except the sensors plugin :(
    - Antivirus
    - Docker
    - FTP
    - MySQL
    - NFS
    - Nginx ???
    - Rsnapshot
    - Rsync
    - SMB
    - SNMP
    - UPS
    - WOL

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, OMV3 has the stable label

As soon as OMV4 is considered stable it will be announce here (according to a previous statement from votdev): http://www.openmediavault.org/?page_id=1271

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just my opinion but the last bug in core OMV that kept the stable tag away was just fixed.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!