To share or not to share

• Resolved

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• To share or not to share

I'm moving to OMV (tried it once years ago) and I'm wondering if I should share my folders. Right now I'm running Emby on OMV and Emby has access to /srv/dev-disk-by-label so I point it there to access the files. So do I really need to share a folder out? Couldn't I just use that folder? Is the sharing just for SMB/CIFS connections?
    • earthtorob wrote:

I tried Plex years ago because it was build from XBMC and I had a lot of exp with that. But I switched to Emby because Plex had monthly fees. Of course now Emby does too. :)

What does Plex have over Emby? Since leaving XBMC I'm pretty open to trying new stuff.

I'm not too up-to-date on how they compare. At the time, I switched because Emby couldn't sync media to ipads, and I needed to do that for a trip I was taking with my kids. Shortly after, I added a bunch of remote users to Plex and I think it would be too much hassle to force them all to switch to Emby clients unless there was a significant reason to do so.

Also, Plex is free for most features. The Plex Pass is only required for a few extra goodies. I bought a lifetime one personally, but I imagine the vast majority use free accounts.