To share or not to share

• I'm moving to OMV (tried it once years ago) and I'm wondering if I should share my folders. Right now I'm running Emby on OMV and Emby has access to /srv/dev-disk-by-label so I point it there to access the files. So do I really need to share a folder out? Couldn't I just use that folder? Is the sharing just for SMB/CIFS connections?

• 100 views and no answer?

I'm sure this isn't a difficult question. It seems very basic.

Are "shared folders" just for network access? Can/should I ignore "shared folders" if I never plan to access OMV through SMB/CIFS? Or is it best practice to make shares for internal access?

• Generally yes, shared folders are used if you want to be able to interact with your files from another system running a Windows or Linux desktop OS. If you don't need to do this and manipulate your files from the OMV machine itself or via SSH, you'll probably have no need for them.

• Thanks a lot.

I'm using OMV to manage files for Emby. Since Emby handle delivery of all my media I didn't want to go to all the trouble of setting up shares and access rights if I didn't need to.

That saves me a lot of trouble.

• I tried Plex years ago because it was build from XBMC and I had a lot of exp with that. But I switched to Emby because Plex had monthly fees. Of course now Emby does too. :)

What does Plex have over Emby? Since leaving XBMC I'm pretty open to trying new stuff.

• I tried Plex years ago because it was build from XBMC and I had a lot of exp with that. But I switched to Emby because Plex had monthly fees. Of course now Emby does too. :)

What does Plex have over Emby? Since leaving XBMC I'm pretty open to trying new stuff.

I'm not too up-to-date on how they compare. At the time, I switched because Emby couldn't sync media to ipads, and I needed to do that for a trip I was taking with my kids. Shortly after, I added a bunch of remote users to Plex and I think it would be too much hassle to force them all to switch to Emby clients unless there was a significant reason to do so.

Also, Plex is free for most features. The Plex Pass is only required for a few extra goodies. I bought a lifetime one personally, but I imagine the vast majority use free accounts.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!