Plex / VPN on Arrakis?

• Hi guys!
    I have OMV Arrakis and it has Plex running.

Recently I was considering sharing my plex logins with my sister (who lives in another state). I did the port forwarding and it worked fine.

But then I was having concerns about the legality of this... Would this be considered inappropriate sharing of movies? It's jut my sister so really not a huge array of people are getting access.

To avoid this headache, I thought setting a VPN server on my OMV would solve it. I was hoping to set OpenVPN then see if there's a way to make the client (sister's TV) access my OMV over VPN.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Is my logic correct? would a VPN save me from too much watching eyes?
    2. It seems like openVPN is no longer supported on Arrakis? Did anyone solve this? Do we have any alternatives?

Please give me your opinion and advises!

Thank you!

• 1. I think so. As long as you have the original copies of the movies, you're fine.

2. OpenVPN hasn't port over to OMV4 yet.
    However, I believe OpenVPNAS is possible for the max of 5 users connections.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• 1. I think so. As long as you have the original copies of the movies, you're fine.

2. OpenVPN hasn't port over to OMV4 yet.
    However, I believe OpenVPNAS is possible for the max of 5 users connections.

Thank you,
    I will look in Open VPNAS, which I assume is available as a plugin in Arrakis?

• Thank you,I will look in Open VPNAS, which I assume is available as a plugin in Arrakis?

That is not a good assumption.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• That is not a good assumption.

What do you mean? I'm planing to read about it tomorow see how ti can be installed. Do you mean it's actually not a plugin and not easy to install?

• AFAIK there is no such plugin for OMV. Try looking for a docker.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• A VPN connection would be way to slow to share video through. Best to setup a Plex server, or Emby, and have your sister use the appropriate client app.

Thank you for the reply.
    I do have plex setup. And she can access it without any problems.
    The only reason I'm doing this is to add an extra layer of security just to avoid any questioning from my ISP about what data is being transferred etc...

• AFAIK there is no such plugin for OMV. Try looking for a docker.

Thank you for the suggestion but I have no clue whatsoever what a docker is or how to use it and by looking on the forum it doesn't look like something I can easily accomplish...

• Thank you for the suggestion but I have no clue whatsoever what a docker is or how to use it and by looking on the forum it doesn't look like something I can easily accomplish...

Well, if you are going to continue forward with OMV, you will likely be forced into using Dockers sooner or later. Many of OMV's plugins have already been deprecated in favor their Docker equivalents, and that list is getting longer, not shorter.

--

• @hekmatk

You are not going to get yourself in trouble with your ISP for streaming stuff from a Plex server. If you were downloading torrent files (movies) without a VPN service that is how you would get into trouble.

I am well covered when it comes for the downloading part.
    So assuming I have a file (don't worry about how I got it), would you say it's safe to stream it via plex?
    What about the user aka my sister? I don't want her to get in trouble either for streaming my media.

• Well, if you are going to continue forward with OMV, you will likely be forced into using Dockers sooner or later. Many of OMV's plugins have already been deprecated in favor their Docker equivalents, and that list is getting longer, not shorter.

I see. Truth is I have minimal knowledge in this domain, which is why I'm really happy to have OMV where most things are GUI.
    The only "plugin" I use is the plex one, so really not a heavy users when it comes to plugins.

But yes, some day I should try to learn this...

• @hekmatk

Your sister will not get into trouble either. The ISPs mostly are monitoring file sharing sites and are probably using AI to do it. If you are not running a file sharing service you will not have issues. The ISPs can tell the difference between thousands of users downloading files and just a few users streaming.

• @hekmatk

Your sister will not get into trouble either. The ISPs mostly are monitoring file sharing sites and are probably using AI to do it. If you are not running a file sharing service you will not have issues. The ISPs can tell the difference between thousands of users downloading files and just a few users streaming.

Thank you very much for the answer!
    I think this means I can just skip the headache of creating a VPN on my server. I'll simply share the files through plex.

Thanks again!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!