Mounting exfat drives

• Mounting exfat drives

Hi!
      I am looking into building a simple NAS for my home with a few internal and external drives. I currently have a few USB hard drives formated in exfat and I want to use one of them with OVM (without formating it before hand - I don't have a backup drive yet). I know that OVM doesn't support exfat by default so I installed the exfat-fuse from google code ( code.google.com/p/exfat ). And this works fine - I can mount the drive with:

Source Code

1. sudo mount.exfat-fuse /dev/sdXn /mnt/exfat

And of course I can read the data on it.

And now for the problem - how do I make this drive show up in OVM web config and how do I mount it on boot?
    • Re: Mounting exfat drives

I don't believe that exFAT is automatically recognized by OMV. You can edit your fstab or create a udev rule: forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-936634-start-0.html to mount it.
      "Glowing days. Don't cry because they are over. Smile because they happened." - Confucius

Server: 1x 32GB SSD (system) - 5x 2TB Data - 1x 2TB Snapraid-Parity - latest OMV 1.x
      No Support through PM
      Tutorials --- Howto install OMV-Extras --- Upgrade/Update-Problems --- If autoshutdown doesn' -work

I've been playing around with this and I can't get it to work no matter what I try. The fuse module loads at boot as it should and I can mount the drive with:

Source Code

1. mount /dev/sdb1 -t exfat-fuse /media/shramba2

I also tried adding this into the /etc/fstab

Source Code

1. /dev/sdb1 /media/shramba2 exfat-fuse user,rw 0 0

Source Code

1. /dev/sdb1 /media/shramba2 exfat user,rw 0 0

None of them mount the damned thing on boot.

And I also put this:

Source Code

1. ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="exfat", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}="exfat_fuse"

into /etc/udev/rules.d/99-exfat.rules (as suggested by your link).

But the thing won't mount at boot and it won't show in OMV config.

I understand that you need this functionality but I would strongly suggest you stop using exFAT. I was using it because of compatibility with both OS X and Windows... But I had data loss few times already without any reason. Folders just disappeared without any warning in any of my operating systems. It does not have journaling.

I do agree with cloud06 on not using it.

Did you try the symlink option in the last post on the link from solo? Otherwise, put the following in your /etc/rc.local

mount /dev/sdb1 -t exfat-fuse /media/shramba2 &
      omv 4.1.15 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!