Odd behavior when accessing NFS shares from Linux desktop

• For the first time, I have decided to use Linux as my desktop OS and retired Windows 10 to gaming-only duty. I chose KDE Neon (Ubuntu based) and mounted my OMV NFS shares in my desktop's /etc/fstab file.

I am able to access the shares, but I experience some unusual behavior. First, when viewing my Samba shares in Windows 10, Windows Explorer would immediately update the contents of an open folder if any changes were made (i.e. if a folder was moved, it would immediately disappear from the Explorer window). However, in Dolphin, I have to manually refresh the window before any changes are reflected. Also, if I move folders between NFS shares, there is sometimes an empty folder left behind.

I assumed that mounting and manipulating OMV shares in an ext4 filesystem would be more natural than manipulating the same files from Windows, but so far, the opposite has been true. Is there a more optimal way for me to approach this?

• You’re comparing samba to nfs. Try using samba both ways fstab and gvfs see how it behaves. Gvfs is always slower.
    I actually never notice this, I personally use xfce with nfs, I can test later to see if it makes a difference and experience the same as you describe.

Yes, just comparing my experience with Windows mounted shares vs. Linux. I have no other basis for comparison since I've never used Linux in a desktop before. Honestly I have no idea what GVFS is, I'll have to read up on that.

• I haven't had the time to mess around with this yet, but I've noticed that sometimes my desktop will boot and the NFS mounts aren't visible in Dolphin. Navigating to the mount directory yields an empty folder. Sometimes I can reboot or shut down and power on and the folders come back, and sometimes I can reboot five times in a row and they never appear. Obviously I've got some more tweaking to do before I get as comfortable with a Linux desktop as I'd like to be.

• I switched over to Mint for a few days to see if I had more stability there, and I do. Mounting through gvfs works fine, although the file path to manipulate the files from the command line is a bit long and clunky. I have tried every guide I can find for mounting the shares using cifs in the fstab file and I'm getting nowhere fast. I always end up with input/output errors, invalid arguments, etc. Can anybody recommend some reading material or a site better suited for asking for assistance?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!