OMV and latest Windows 10 Update 1803

• Openmediavault working perfectly until last Windows 10 update that just came out. Unable to see any of my share but I can still logo through a browser. I know this is a windows 10 problem but had no luck so far on windows forums. Any advice and is anyone else seeing the same problem. Seeing it on all my Windows machines.

• Maybe check the version of SMB used by Windows 10...

[HOW-TO] Browse / Connect to OMV SMB shares with Windows 10

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

• Well that was a lot of work but it did work. I can access it by creating a shortcut on the desktop so happy about that. I use to just be able to double click on network icon but oh well this will do. Thanks so much for the help.

• Ok I fixed the problem but not sure if it's dangerous. I had to enable smb1 which in not enabled with a fresh install of Windows with latest 1803 update. Any opinions on doing this?

I had to do that after applying 1709, so this was already in place when I put 1803 on.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok I fixed the problem but not sure if it's dangerous. I had to enable smb1 which in not enabled with a fresh install of Windows with latest 1803 update. Any opinions on doing this?

If you followed the guide by @flmaxey it is not necessary to enable SMB 1, whilst in itself it is 'not dangerous' it is considered insecure. The real problem as windows users we have become reliant on computer browsing/network neighbourhood to locate other machines on our home network.

This article from MS support explains how W10 works in a networked environment, at the end of the article there is an explanation as to why installing SMB 1 is not advised.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• I have followed the instructions and everything is working fine without SMB1. The two Windows machines can see each other and their shares as normal, but they can't "see" the Linux shares. However, iTunes can find the music server no problem and I can mount any share I want using "map network drive", which seems to work exactly as browsing used to.

• From the process (under Windows is "Windows"), you can create a server Shortcut on the Windows 10 desktop as @porkenstein did. For convenience, right click the Shortcut icon and pin it to Quick Access and Start. If you've set SMB2 "on" and there are no firewall issues, shortcuts should work in nearly any circumstance. It may not be as convenient as network browsing (depending on preference) but it's much more reliable.

BTW: This problem with Win10 also affects Windows Server (long running Windows thread) so buying M$ Server Essentials and/or setting up a Windows domain may not work any better than OMV.

Done, works fine thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!