OMV and latest Windows 10 Update 1803

    • OMV 3.x

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • OMV and latest Windows 10 Update 1803

      Openmediavault working perfectly until last Windows 10 update that just came out. Unable to see any of my share but I can still logo through a browser. I know this is a windows 10 problem but had no luck so far on windows forums. Any advice and is anyone else seeing the same problem. Seeing it on all my Windows machines.
    • porkenstein wrote:

      Ok I fixed the problem but not sure if it's dangerous. I had to enable smb1 which in not enabled with a fresh install of Windows with latest 1803 update. Any opinions on doing this?
      If you followed the guide by @flmaxey it is not necessary to enable SMB 1, whilst in itself it is 'not dangerous' it is considered insecure. The real problem as windows users we have become reliant on computer browsing/network neighbourhood to locate other machines on our home network.

      This article from MS support explains how W10 works in a networked environment, at the end of the article there is an explanation as to why installing SMB 1 is not advised.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • I have followed the instructions and everything is working fine without SMB1. The two Windows machines can see each other and their shares as normal, but they can't "see" the Linux shares. However, iTunes can find the music server no problem and I can mount any share I want using "map network drive", which seems to work exactly as browsing used to.
    • porkenstein wrote:

      Well that was a lot of work but it did work. I can access it by creating a shortcut on the desktop so happy about that. I use to just be able to double click on network icon but oh well this will do. Thanks so much for the help.
      Sorry about that. :) There are more than a few settings and conditions that prevent Win10 network connections. While all the changes may not be necessary, in writing a HOW TO for the broadest possible audience, it made sense to outline fixes for most of the major contributors.

      porkenstein wrote:

      Ok I fixed the problem but not sure if it's dangerous. I had to enable smb1 which in not enabled with a fresh install of Windows with latest 1803 update. Any opinions on doing this?
      The WannaCry ransomware virus exploits a weakness in SMB1. While Wcry is no longer a common occurrence, it utilizes a known vulnerability in SMB1 so the safest route is to turn SMB1 off. Otherwise, keep your scanner up to date.

      vinntec wrote:

      I have followed the instructions and everything is working fine without SMB1. The two Windows machines can see each other and their shares as normal, but they can't "see" the Linux shares. However, iTunes can find the music server no problem and I can mount any share I want using "map network drive", which seems to work exactly as browsing used to.

      From the process (under Windows is "Windows"), you can create a server Shortcut on the Windows 10 desktop as @porkenstein did. For convenience, right click the Shortcut icon and pin it to Quick Access and Start. If you've set SMB2 "on" and there are no firewall issues, shortcuts should work in nearly any circumstance. It may not be as convenient as network browsing (depending on preference) but it's much more reliable.
      ________________________________________________________________________

      BTW: This problem with Win10 also affects Windows Server (long running Windows thread) so buying M$ Server Essentials and/or setting up a Windows domain may not work any better than OMV.

      Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.
      ____________________________________
      Primary: OMV 3.0.99, ThinkServer TS140, 12GB ECC, 32GB USB boot, 4TB+4TB zmirror, 3TB client backup.
      OMV 4.1.13, Intel Server SC5650HCBRP, 32GB ECC, 16GB USB boot, UnionFS+SNAPRAID
      Backup: OMV 4.1.9, Acer RC-111, 4GB, 32GB USB boot, 3TB+3TB zmirror, 4TB Rsync'ed disk
    • flmaxey wrote:

      From the process (under Windows is "Windows"), you can create a server Shortcut on the Windows 10 desktop as @porkenstein did. For convenience, right click the Shortcut icon and pin it to Quick Access and Start. If you've set SMB2 "on" and there are no firewall issues, shortcuts should work in nearly any circumstance. It may not be as convenient as network browsing (depending on preference) but it's much more reliable.
      ________________________________________________________________________

      BTW: This problem with Win10 also affects Windows Server (long running Windows thread) so buying M$ Server Essentials and/or setting up a Windows domain may not work any better than OMV.
      Done, works fine thanks.