Virtualbox 5.2.10 vnc not working

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thx all, but i resolve the problem with nas4free

Didn't wait long, huh? Obviously you tweaked something else to enable VNC since RDP is enabled by default.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• no, simple i try another os, but don't fear, i'm in love with openmediavault and i try to found a solution. Sorry for my desperation, but i need to use vnc on virtual box

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry for my desperation, but i need to use vnc on virtual box

Why not use rdp?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Because before i use vnc with remote desktop from mac os, but i download rdp microsoft from app store and now worked, but i like use the software from macos and not from windows ;(

• Didn't wait long, huh? Obviously you tweaked something else to enable VNC since RDP is enabled by default.

No, I have a fresh install of 4.1.6 (Arrakis) and the same problem.
    I was expecting to connect to my guests via rdp as normal, but somehow it changed to vnc:// urls. 8|
    Something seems broken with the vbox plugin default settings. (I migrated from stoneburner yesterday and only transferred the VMs, not the vboxserver config)

Both guest VMs I am running, an ubuntu 16.04 LTS and a centos 7.x both show the same weird keymap behaviour. :cursing:
    If you poweroff the guest, it shuts down gracefully up to the point where the vnc connection is dropped, but the vm task is still active and there is no chance stopping the vm from the phpVirtualBox interface.
    (had to kill the tasks on console)

omv 5.6.24-1 (Usul) | HP Microserver G8 | Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz | 16GB RAM | 4x3TB HDD

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess it is defaulting to vnc. It is working fine on my system though.

• I guess it is defaulting to vnc. It is working fine on my system though.

Found it...
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks
    There is an additional Extension pack called 'VNC' ( 8| how obvious... ) installed.

Removed the extension, rebooted, all fine. :D

Now the only question remaining is, why is that VNC thingy even installed in the first place.

omv 5.6.24-1 (Usul) | HP Microserver G8 | Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz | 16GB RAM | 4x3TB HDD

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Frogger ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now the only question remaining is, why is that VNC thingy even installed in the first place.

Even when you connect via remote desktop, it is just a translation layer to VNC. Nothing wrong with VNC.

• Even when you connect via remote desktop, it is just a translation layer to VNC. Nothing wrong with VNC.

There is nothing wrong with VNC itself, no need to get defensive about the protocol. :huh:

But in this instance it seems that the translation RDP to VNC is working a lot better than the native VNC connection, assuming that extension is the native connector.
    On the other hand why does RDP still work if I remove the extension? That means its either not the native VNC connector, or the RDP implementation is every bit as native as VNC to the VBox server.

The extension also contains the following libs:

Bash
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/VNC/linux.amd64

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5,9K Apr 26 10:56 VBoxVNCMain.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  19K Apr 26 10:56 VBoxVNC.so

So in fact this looks a lot more like an additional extension pack to me than the other way round.

Well, I got a solution that works for me. If an update restores the extension pack and it stops working, I know where to look. ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

no need to get defensive about the protocol.

I definitely wasn't. I really prefer real rdp over vnc. I was just stating that virtualbox uses vnc behind the scenes and it works.

On the other hand why does RDP still work if I remove the extension? That means its either not the native VNC connector, or the RDP implementation is every bit as native as VNC to the VBox server.

I don't know. I highly doubt it is "native" rdp. Even xrdp isn't native rdp. If virtualbox had a native rdp implementation, it is open source and I bet xrdp would use it.

• I can not login to Virtualbox VM via RDP.
    I tried to connect <host-IP>:9000 by Remmina RDP, telling me: "Verbindung zum RDP-Server <host-IP> fehlgeschlagen."

Proxmox PVE 7.2-11 + OMV 5.6.26-1 + extras
    Mainboard Fujitsu D3417-B; CPU Xeon E3-1245v5; RAM 32GB

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!