Remote Mount Plugin issue: RPC error & omv still trying to mount NFS in srv

• Hi,
    I've upgraded to OMV 4.0 and my upgrade went really fine, except few warnings I succeeded to get rid of easily.
    I tried to use the plugin RemoteMount and did not succeed to mount properly my NFS partition, so finally gave up and remove the plugin.
    After plugin removal and reboot, my file system is going in RO mode only. After 1 day trials (hopefully I was able to force remount in rw), I find out that I can get my file system on sda1 back in rw mode, if I remove the shared partitions exported for NFS from my fstab (??).
    They are 4 and are only binded: they are created by OMV. As soon as I add one of them my filesystem goes back to ro.
    I did boot on usb stick and perform fsck -f, there is no error at all on disk.
    After commenting my bind partitions in fstab, I'm able to boot and get my system up; if I type mount -a after uncommenting the bind partitions, they are mounted properly.
    It seems there is an issue with omv scripts doing disk check and fstab parsing during the boot, but I can find the issue.
    Looging on the UI or trying to update the SharedFolder I get the following error (see images).
    I attach also my Syslog, where you can see that RemoteMount (which is uninstalled) is still trying to mount my NFS partition.

Your help will be much appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The remotemount plugin doesn't try to mount anything itself. Sounds like your mntent entries weren't removed. What is the output of (as root):

dpkg -l | grep openm
    omv-showkey remotemount
    omv-showkey mntent

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi,
    thx for your prompt reply
    FYI, I've already ensure pkg RemoteMount was removed. But here are the info.

Code
    root@GemenosNAS:~# omv-showkey remotemount
    root@GemenosNAS:~#

OMV5 64bits - Intel i5-7400

4 * 2TB Hdd Raid 5 + 1 SSD 128Go

• BTW, last year after migration from OMV2.0 to 3.0, I had a similar issue (File system in ReadOnly mode) which I fixed by modifying my fstab.
    I'm now pretty sure it was after testing the same plugin RemoteMount...
    I did fix it by chance, but the root cause (I thought it was fstab format) was not very convincing...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like everything was removed properly. It would be interesting to see fstab before and after omv-mkconf fstab. Maybe the single user mode is caused by your nfs config?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Fstab is not modified after omv-mkconf.

Here it is:

You will see in omv sections the 4 bind for my NFS export. If I remove them, omv boots properly. As soon, as I keep them, my filesystem is in RO mode. Honestly, I'm totally stuck... ?(

• The only idea I may have is related with the omv boot scripts (checkroot.sh) which are parsing and overriding the fstab.
    But I didn't find any log or idea, which may point these scripts as guilty.
    Also, if it can help, after successful reboot (without the bind), I receive the following alert email from OMV:

This is the mountpoint which was created by the plugin RemoteMount before.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As root, what is the output of the following:

grep 8abf44ac-b95a-425c-8f8c-b688852dbf3f /etc/openmediavault/config.xml
    ls -al /etc/systemd/system/

Did you remove any shared folders associated with the remotemounts before removing the plugin? Try disabling nfs too.

• here is the output:

No out put at all from grep.
    I did not remove any shared folders, but thinking twice, maybe the RemoteMout I was trying to create was conflicting with an existing share.
    I disabled NFS and I still get the same RPCerror when logging In.
    Looking at the UI, I've found out the plugin menu "RemoteMout" is still in the UI, while the plugin is actually removed from the plugin list. Enablind/disabling it does not change anything.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No out put at all from grep.

That just means it didn't find anything. That is good. I think one of your sharedfolders- mount files is pointing to a mount that doesn't exist. What is the output of: grep 8abf44ac-b95a-425c-8f8c-b688852dbf3f /etc/systemd/system/*

Looking at the UI, I've found out the plugin menu "RemoteMout" is still in the UI, while the plugin is actually removed from the plugin list. Enablind/disabling it does not change anything.

Clear your browser cache.

• This is the output of the grep command:

root@GemenosNAS:/etc/systemd/system# grep 8abf44ac-b95a-425c-8f8c-b688852dbf3f /etc/systemd/system/*grep: /etc/systemd/system/default.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/halt.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/local-fs.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/paths.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/poweroff.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/reboot.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/remote-fs.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants: Is a directorygrep: /etc/systemd/system/timers.target.wants: Is a directory

Clearing the cache of my browser did remove the RemoteMount menu from the UI and also removed the RPC Error I got at login.
    I still have the same error message when I update the SharedFolders.

I'm now convinced that the uninstall of the RemoteMount plugin did not remove the mount point /srv/.... in a config file lost in omv folders and it crashes the startup script checkroot. Where are located the RemoteMount and SharedFolder config files?
    Anyway, I also don't understand why the file system is mounted properly if I remove my bind mounts from my fstab...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm now convinced that the uninstall of the RemoteMount plugin did not remove the mount point /srv/

It shouldn't remove the /srv mountpoint. That is where OMV mounts your data drives.

Where are located the RemoteMount and SharedFolder config files?

Everything is in /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. That is what I had you checking and everything from remotemount has been removed.

Anyway, I also don't understand why the file system is mounted properly if I remove my bind mounts from my fstab...

Try removing from fstab and then mounting manually from the command line with the verbose flag to see what error you get.

• As stated at the beginning, after reboot with my full fstab, I have my filesystem RO; if I force remount of / with RW, then mount -a all my disks are mounted properly and I don't get any error.
    My directory /srv is empty. The error message I got in syslog is related with mountpoint_srv_8abf44ac-b95a-425c-8f8c-b688852dbf3f and I have no blkid corresponding to this device.

• Here we are!! :thumbup:
    THE GOOD NEWS:
    I can get my system up & running by changing my fstab. And this explains how I fix it 1 year ago after migrating from omv2 to omv3: I thought it was after changing the spaces with tab, but I certainly did change other things.
    In my fstab, omv is adding automatically useless "/" or "/." for my bind (ie shares); if I remove them as described below, my filesystem is mounted properly.

Before:
    /media/08967e29-5afc-4f65-8e49-344f9cc3c991/. /export/gemenos none bind 0 0
    /media/08967e29-5afc-4f65-8e49-344f9cc3c991//home/vincent /export/UserVincent none bind 0 0
    /media/08967e29-5afc-4f65-8e49-344f9cc3c991//home/christele /export/UserChristele none bind 0 0
    /media/08967e29-5afc-4f65-8e49-344f9cc3c991//home/laura /export/UserLaura none bind 0 0
    After:
    /media/08967e29-5afc-4f65-8e49-344f9cc3c991 /export/gemenos none bind 0 0
    /media/08967e29-5afc-4f65-8e49-344f9cc3c991/home/vincent /export/UserVincent none bind 0 0
    /media/08967e29-5afc-4f65-8e49-344f9cc3c991/home/christele /export/UserChristele none bind 0 0
    /media/08967e29-5afc-4f65-8e49-344f9cc3c991/home/laura /export/UserLaura none bind 0 0

Maybe there is another underlying root cause, but I did spend lots of time 1 year ago due to that and it happened once again; there is actually an issue to investigate here.

The BAD NEWS:
    I still get the same error message in my syslog every minute, stating that my system cannot mount in /srv a non existing disk.
    For this issue, your help will be much appreciated, because I'm totally stuck.

• And here we are with the last issue :thumbup:
    I was fed up trying to understand where are the configuration files in omv, so I did a basic grep -r on /etc /var and /opt.
    This is what I got:

root@GemenosNAS:/# grep -r "8abf44ac-b95a-425c-8f8c-b688852dbf3f" /etc/etc/collectd/collectd.conf.d/df.conf: MountPoint "/srv/8abf44ac-b95a-425c-8f8c-b688852dbf3f"/etc/monit/conf.d/openmediavault-filesystem.conf:check filesystem filesystem_srv_8abf44ac-b95a-425c-8f8c-b688852dbf3f with path "/srv/8abf44ac-b95a-425c-8f8c-b688852dbf3f"/etc/monit/conf.d/openmediavault-filesystem.conf:check program mountpoint_srv_8abf44ac-b95a-425c-8f8c-b688852dbf3f with path "/bin/mountpoint '/srv/8abf44ac-b95a-425c-8f8c-b688852dbf3f'"

I've cleaned up the 3 config files, by removing information related with this dummy blk, restarted the services monit and collectd, and errors have disappeared! :)

It means the issue was not serious because the monitoring of the system was just trying to scan or access a non existing partition, but it also means that the plugin RemoteMount does not clean properly the monitoring configuration files of omv.

I wish my issues will help many omv users, because omv is a great solution and I'm really supporting it.

• I add this post to add a final conclusion to fix the erros in my fstab; 'hope it will help others.

After each omv updates, my fstab was regenerated by omv with useless "/" which leads to system disk in read only.
    I finally deleted all my NFS shares in the UI and recreated them, and now the problem does not appear anymore.
    My conclusion is that the import of the internal NFS share configuration from omv 3.x to omv 4.x did not work properly and generate this kind of strange issue.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!