How to restore from an omv-backup?

• I have OMV 4 running on rpi 3b+. After a couple of months it has now stopped booting (No flickering green light).

However the day before it stopped booting I took a backup from the plugin in omv-extras.

But I'm not sure how to restore it. The back it did looks like a copy of the folders in the OS.

Appreciate any help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I took a backup from the plugin in omv-extras.

Using which method?

But I'm not sure how to restore it. The back it did looks like a copy of the folders in the OS.

If it crashed the next day, some of the files still may have been corrupt during the backup.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It did not show a method, just asked where I want to save the backup. Please see the screenshot.

Then you were using the old version of the backup plugin. It is difficult to restore.

Actually I made the backup because there were signs of issues with the SD card.

If you were seeing signs before the backup, those problems are most likely replicated to your backup. I would not use the backup.

So would appreciate steps from the point of booting a fresh SD card with a new image of OMV.

Didn't you do this to create the image you have now?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Then you were using the old version of the backup plugin. It is difficult to restore.
    Oh I see.

If you were seeing signs before the backup, those problems are most likely replicated to your backup. I would not use the backup.
    That's true.

Didn't you do this to create the image you have now?

I was referring on the steps to restore the back up from the point of starting up a new omv system :)
    [/quote]All good now. Thanks for the help.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was referring on the steps to restore the back up from the point of starting up a new omv system

If you use the fsarchiver method on the latest backup plugin, here is how you restore - How to restore from an omv-backup? This just won't work with an rpi. You would need another system with access to the backup file.

• I was referring on the steps to restore the back up from the point of starting up a new omv system :)

All good now. I suppose installing a new omv image is the best option. Thank you for the help.

• Here is a basic restore procedure using fsarchiver for the same hard drive but a change went bad:

• Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu.
    • Mount your data drive - example: mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/backup
    • Figure out where your backup file is. fsarchiver uses the .fsa extension - example: /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa
    • Figure out what your OS drive root partiton is. Don't get this wrong! - example: /dev/sda1
    • Restore the files - example fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa dest=/dev/sda1
    • reboot

Here is a basic restore procedure using dd for the same hard drive but a change went bad:

• Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu.
    • Mount your data drive - example: mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/backup
    • Figure out where your backup file is. dd uses the .dd.gz extension - example: /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.dd.gz
    • Figure out what your OS drive root partiton is. Don't get this wrong! - example: /dev/sda1
    • Restore the files - example gunzip -c /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.dd.gz | dd of=/dev/sda1 bs=1M status=progress
    • reboot

Hello, this is my first post, I haven´t seen where to introduce myself.

I am thinking about the best way to backup. At this time I have backups on OMV of my computers, Macbook and Windows 10 PC. With the first one I am using the Apple Filing plugin, and with the second one UrBakcup (iso backup). For all of the data content on OMV I have an external drive where I am doing backups with the USBBackup plugin. The next step is to do a cloud backup on BlackBaze with Duplicaty plugin.

Is there a better way to make backups?

I have a question about the procedure I have quoten. If I have the backup file in a cloud storage, I have to download it and copy into a server drive or it is possible to restore it from the server?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a better way to make backups?

That seems like a decent backup plan. If you have tested it and it works, then I would say it works.

If I have the backup file in a cloud storage, I have to download it and copy into a server drive or it is possible to restore it from the server?

You would most likely need to download it unless the rescue image you use can access your cloud storage.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Restore the files - example fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa dest=/dev/sda1

It seems there is something missing. Just needed to make a restore and had to insert "id=0,"

fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda1

http://forums.fsarchiver.org/viewtopic.php?t=1067

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just needed to make a restore and had to insert "id=0,"

Correct. I actually just used fsarchiver to backup my laptop (xubuntu) to replace the nvme.

• booted a 32gb usb stick with systemrescuecd that I had added a second partition.
    • fsarchive main drive to second partition on usb stick.
    • swap nvme drives
    • boot systemresucecd again
    • create new partition table and filesystem
    • fsarchive restfs to new filesystem
    • mount and chroot to new filesystem
    • install and update grub
    • Done.

• hmm so for the slow ones... I have an Odroid XU4.

I made a backup with the integrate backup plugin to an external drive.
    Can some tell me what in this dd file is included? Are all partition included or just the main with the data (so no boot partition)

Now my current OMV is on a 16GB card.
    Now I like to copy the backup to a new 32GB card.

First I made a new partition of 100mb and did copy via dd the boot partition of the 16GB to the 32GB card.
    Then I made a new btrfs partition to copy via dd the backup file made by the Backup Plugin of the OMV.

Hmm somehow it does not boot from the new 32GB card. What did I wrong?

Andy

• I don't understand the first line:

"Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu."

If I installed which iso?

---

I made a backup using fsarchiver. Can I use this command from command line of my running OMV system to a SSD I connected via usb (which is not the current system disk)?

fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda1

• Thanks a lot! Actually, he meant the SystemRescueCD. But your hint showed me an aspect of OMV-Extras I never discovered before.

So that means I can use the Web-GUI to start the server in a live-iso-mode to make a clone of my system disk or restore a system disk backup, right?

Awesome!

• Helios 4 backup/restore procedure:

I am using the backup plugin and fsarchiver method to backup. I then copied the backup over to another PC and ran the fsarchiver restore procedure to another sdcard but it was smaller disk 32GB to 8GB. The procedure worked but I did not go to a partition i went to the raw device (ie: sdb) and it worked successfully. I was just doing a test of this since I do not have another 32GB sdcard used for the Helios 4.

My question is should this procedure work correctly if I went from a larger sdcard to a smaller one. Should you not use partition but a raw device like sdb so the uuid comes over on the new disk?

fsarchiver restfs backup.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sdb

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

he procedure worked but I did not go to a partition i went to the raw device (ie: sdb) and it worked successfully.

I recommend against this since this isn't how the image is setup and it might require other things to be altered.

but it was smaller disk 32GB to 8GB.

fsarchiver doesn't care about the partition size as long as the new drive is large enough.

hould you not use partition but a raw device like sdb so the uuid comes over on the new disk?

The partition table is backed up with the fsarchive and is in the folder. Please look at this guide - How to restore OMV 4.X from backup-plugin to system SSD

• The How to makes sense.. thanks but do you have to do the dd to restore grub on the new disk that you are restoring?

My thought would be

1. Write helios 4 armbian to sdcard
    2. Restore fsarchiver to new disk partition

or

1. Partition new sd card to what you have before
    2. dd grubparts
    3. fsarchiver to new sdcard partition

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!