How to restore from an omv-backup?

• OMV 3.x
    • Resolved
    • Upgrade 3.x -> 4.x
    • I have OMV 4 running on rpi 3b+. After a couple of months it has now stopped booting (No flickering green light).

However the day before it stopped booting I took a backup from the plugin in omv-extras.

But I'm not sure how to restore it. The back it did looks like a copy of the folders in the OS.

Appreciate any help.
    • dhanushkak wrote:

I took a backup from the plugin in omv-extras.
      Using which method?

dhanushkak wrote:

But I'm not sure how to restore it. The back it did looks like a copy of the folders in the OS.
      If it crashed the next day, some of the files still may have been corrupt during the backup.
      omv 4.1.12 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.11
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron,

It did not show a method, just asked where I want to save the backup. Please see the screenshot.

Actually I made the backup because there were signs of issues with the SD card. I sometimes had to on/off a couple of times to get the green light flickering.
      Images
      • Screenshot from 2018-08-13 20-50-54.png

207 kB, 1,366×768, viewed 47 times
    • dhanushkak wrote:

It did not show a method, just asked where I want to save the backup. Please see the screenshot.
      Then you were using the old version of the backup plugin. It is difficult to restore.

dhanushkak wrote:

Actually I made the backup because there were signs of issues with the SD card.
      If you were seeing signs before the backup, those problems are most likely replicated to your backup. I would not use the backup.

dhanushkak wrote:

So would appreciate steps from the point of booting a fresh SD card with a new image of OMV.
      Didn't you do this to create the image you have now?

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

dhanushkak wrote:

Then you were using the old version of the backup plugin. It is difficult to restore.
      Oh I see.

dhanushkak wrote:

If you were seeing signs before the backup, those problems are most likely replicated to your backup. I would not use the backup.
      That's true.

dhanushkak wrote:

So would appreciate steps from the point of booting a fresh SD card with a new image of OMV.
      I was referring on the steps to restore the back up from the point of starting up a new omv system :)
      [/quote]All good now. Thanks for the help.
      [/quote]
      [/quote]
      [/quote]
    • dhanushkak wrote:

I was referring on the steps to restore the back up from the point of starting up a new omv system
      If you use the fsarchiver method on the latest backup plugin, here is how you restore - How to restore from an omv-backup? This just won't work with an rpi. You would need another system with access to the backup file.

• ryecoaaron wrote:

dhanushkak wrote:

dhanushkak wrote:

dhanushkak wrote:

I was referring on the steps to restore the back up from the point of starting up a new omv system :)

All good now. I suppose installing a new omv image is the best option. Thank you for the help.
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

Here is a basic restore procedure using fsarchiver for the same hard drive but a change went bad:
      1. Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu.
      2. Mount your data drive - example: mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/backup
      3. Figure out where your backup file is. fsarchiver uses the .fsa extension - example: /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa
      4. Figure out what your OS drive root partiton is. Don't get this wrong! - example: /dev/sda1
      5. Restore the files - example fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa dest=/dev/sda1
      6. reboot
      Here is a basic restore procedure using dd for the same hard drive but a change went bad:
      1. Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu.
      2. Mount your data drive - example: mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/backup
      3. Figure out where your backup file is. dd uses the .dd.gz extension - example: /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.dd.gz
      4. Figure out what your OS drive root partiton is. Don't get this wrong! - example: /dev/sda1
      5. Restore the files - example gunzip -c /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.dd.gz | dd of=/dev/sda1 bs=1M status=progress
      6. reboot

Hello, this is my first post, I haven´t seen where to introduce myself.

I am thinking about the best way to backup. At this time I have backups on OMV of my computers, Macbook and Windows 10 PC. With the first one I am using the Apple Filing plugin, and with the second one UrBakcup (iso backup). For all of the data content on OMV I have an external drive where I am doing backups with the USBBackup plugin. The next step is to do a cloud backup on BlackBaze with Duplicaty plugin.

Is there a better way to make backups?

I have a question about the procedure I have quoten. If I have the backup file in a cloud storage, I have to download it and copy into a server drive or it is possible to restore it from the server?
      Addicted to OMV
    • tzinm wrote:

Is there a better way to make backups?
      That seems like a decent backup plan. If you have tested it and it works, then I would say it works.

tzinm wrote:

If I have the backup file in a cloud storage, I have to download it and copy into a server drive or it is possible to restore it from the server?
      You would most likely need to download it unless the rescue image you use can access your cloud storage.

• ryecoaaron wrote:

Restore the files - example fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa dest=/dev/sda1
      It seems there is something missing. Just needed to make a restore and had to insert "id=0,"

fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda1

forums.fsarchiver.org/viewtopic.php?t=1067
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • macom wrote:

Just needed to make a restore and had to insert "id=0,"
      Correct. I actually just used fsarchiver to backup my laptop (xubuntu) to replace the nvme.
      • booted a 32gb usb stick with systemrescuecd that I had added a second partition.
      • fsarchive main drive to second partition on usb stick.
      • swap nvme drives
      • boot systemresucecd again
      • create new partition table and filesystem
      • fsarchive restfs to new filesystem
      • mount and chroot to new filesystem
      • install and update grub
      • Done.