How to restore from an omv-backup?

• OMV 3.x
    • Resolved
    • Upgrade 3.x -> 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to restore from an omv-backup?

I'm preparing to upgrade to OMV 4 so I made a backup of OMV via the openmediavault-backup 3.11 plugin. If I need to do a restore, what is the process? I see the backup folder that was created but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it if I need to use it.

The plugins I'm currently using are omvextrasorgs, omv-backup, snapraid, and union file system. Not sure if that has an impact or not.
    • It isn't easy with the OMV 3.x version of the plugin. You really should make a backup with clonezilla.
      omv 4.1.12 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.11
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Deckma wrote:

Ok, I will backup with clonezilla. Thanks for the advice.
      Once you are on OMV 4.x, the plugin has an option to use fsarchiver for the backup. This is much easier to restore.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • warllo wrote:

What is the correct process for backing up via the plug in while running OMV 4.x ?
      Have you installed the new version (4.0)? There is three methods of backing up. One is rsync which is the same as the 3.x version. I will have to write up something about the other two - fsarchiver and dd.

• Here is a basic restore procedure using fsarchiver for the same hard drive but a change went bad:
      1. Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu.
      2. Mount your data drive - example: mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/backup
      3. Figure out where your backup file is. fsarchiver uses the .fsa extension - example: /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa
      4. Figure out what your OS drive root partiton is. Don't get this wrong! - example: /dev/sda1
      5. Restore the files - example fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa dest=/dev/sda1
      6. reboot
      Here is a basic restore procedure using dd for the same hard drive but a change went bad:
      1. Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu.
      2. Mount your data drive - example: mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/backup
      3. Figure out where your backup file is. dd uses the .dd.gz extension - example: /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.dd.gz
      4. Figure out what your OS drive root partiton is. Don't get this wrong! - example: /dev/sda1
      5. Restore the files - example gunzip -c /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.dd.gz | dd of=/dev/sda1 bs=1M status=progress
      6. reboot

• Thanks a lot for integrating FSArchiver in OMV-backup.

ryecoaaron wrote:

/mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa
      How about the other files that are created during backup?

backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.blkid
      backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.fdisk
      backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.fsa
      backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.grub
      backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.grubparts
      backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.packages

Will they be used internally?
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • On the Odroid I get the following error message:

Source Code

1. Error #0:
      2. OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; omv-mkconf backup 2>&1': Method: fsarchiver
      3. lsblk: /dev/block/0:20: not a block device in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/backup.inc:72
      4. Stack trace:
      5. #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMVRpcServiceBackup->{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusel...', '/tmp/bgoutputFn...')
      6. #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/backup.inc(74): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
      7. #2 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceBackup->doBackup(NULL, Array)
      8. #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
      9. #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('doBackup', NULL, Array)
      10. #5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Backup', 'doBackup', NULL, Array, 1)
      11. #6 {main}
      Display All
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • macom wrote:

On the Odroid I get the following error message:
      What filesystem is the root filesystem? I'm guessing btrfs?

macom wrote:

How about the other files that are created during backup?

backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.blkid
      backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.fdisk
      backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.fsa
      backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.grub
      backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.grubparts
      backup-omv-10-May-2018_15-16-52.packages

Will they be used internally?
      These are additional helpful outputs that might help advanced users during restore. The extension is pretty much what program created the output and saved it to a file. You can see how they are created here - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plug…iavault/mkconf/backup#L68

The grub and grub parts would be helpful if the os disk failed and you didn't want to manually create the partitions again. They are more important for the rsync style backup.

• macom wrote:

Yes, btfrs.
      OMV's builtin root device detection fails on btrfs and zfs. I will have to look into this.

• 4.0.1 is in the testing repo. This should fix the issue with btrfs. zfs on root users are out of luck.

• macom wrote:

Is this "days" correct? Maybe it should be "Keep the last x backups"?
      Deleting based on time was easier than count. And most people aren't going to backup more than once per day. So, I stuck with days.

• Deckma wrote:

My backup function doesn't look like that in 4.x. I still only see shared folder, root device, extra options. I don't have the option to change the Method. Am I using the wrong plugin?
      You need to enable the omv-extras testing repo.

• After enabling the testing repo, did you look in the Updates tab? If you did install it, you probably need to clear your browser cache.