Is file system compatible

• Hi everyone. I have been trying for the last couple days to get plex metadata folder moved off my system drive.

I have a snapraid array and merfgs/union file system.
    Does plex not support my array and union file system?
    Its the only reason I can think of since everything I try either produces errors or breaks plex from starting.
    I've tried running plex they docker, using symlink on the directory which errors every time I try to link plex to my array/filesystem.

So if it is incomparable I guess that will mean I need a bigger system drive because plex works fine if I let it save to the system disk but it fills my 16gb drive with metadata and my gui for OMV quits working because it's full.

• Plex is compatible with SnapRAID and mergerfs mounts for media library data, however I advise against placing your Plex metadata folder on a mergerfs mountpoint if there is any chance it could wind up spanning more than one drive.

The metadata folder is also a poor choice to use SnapRAID on, so you might want to exclude it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Okay so the other option I have is to add a drive to hold the metadata since my root drive is 16gb and my snapraid setup isn't the ideal place. Would a usb hdd or a network share to my other server be a good place for it?
    Or would I be better off to install a larger root drive?
    I have approximately 20tb of different media files in the plex library's that it wants to gather metadata on.

Thanks for your help and opinion
    Robert

• Here's how I do it.

My OMV system disk is a 16GB SSD, obviously not the place to store a Plex metadata database that is 143GB and growing.

I don't use the OMV Union File Systems plugin as I find its options too coarse to fit my needs. I configure my mergerfs pools by hand in fstab. You could probably continue on with the plugin though.

I keep my Plex metadata database directory in the root of my SnapRAID parity drive. This means it is automatically excluded from being protected by SnapRAID, and it's all in one place, and beyond the reach of mergerfs since that drive does not belong to any mergerfs pool.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• i will try this now. if it works ill come back here and kiss you. this has been giving me headaches for days.

Well my parity drive is 100% full. So i cant catch a break.

i also use a 16gb flash disc. mine is an msata out of the parts pile. the controller card pcie that its running from also
    has an extra sata plug on it. if i put a disk drive on that port and leave it out of the array/filesytem i have now. could
    that fix my problem? i just want this off my system disk and i will be satisfied. i cant seem to manage that with my
    current knowledge and system setup.

• Sure, putting the metadabase on a completely separate drive would work fine, so long as it is large enough, as that database will continue to grow over time.

I ran mine on a 256GB SSD for a while, thinking that the Plex interface would handle faster, but it made no difference and I used the disk for something else.

As for your parity drive being 100% full, I don't think SnapRAID will work properly, if at all.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Thank you again for the input.
    I thought the metadata disk speed wouldn't matter much. I think I have some 1tb or larger drives in the parts pile I have to try one of those.

As for snapraid I don't know much about it. However there are 5 data disks and 1 parity. I know I need to add a second parity and will as soon as I can buy the disk. But in my array on the file system it shows one data disk full and the parity disk full. The other data disks have random free space.
    Its still working great tho. I thought the parity disk would be as full as any one disk on your array. That's why the parity disk needs to be the largest disk in the array?

I will report back on how the addition of the disk helps with the plex problem.

• Typically, the size of the parity file will be slightly larger than the total amount of data on your most filled up disk. If you had identically sized data disks and parity disks, and were to try to fill up a data disk, then the parity disk would fill up just before the data disk filled up, at which point SnapRAID would protest by failing to sync.

The easiest way to avoid this problem when using same sized disks is to not fill up your data disks to 100% full. Hold back a few %.

I have ~100GB free on each of my 3TB data disks (~3% reserve), and when I was also running a 3TB parity disk there were no problems.

My current parity disks are a 4TB and a 8TB and I have four 3TB data disks so there are no potential problems. I will be adding another 8TB parity disk soon and will convert the 4TB parity disk to a data disk.

As time goes on I will add even larger disks, making them the parity disks, and use what were the parity disks as new data disks.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!