Low download speed

• Hi, I have OMV installed on a remote server to make large backups. My problem is that the maximum download speed is 540 kb/s using SCP, FTP or HTTP.
    However I can upload files at more than 3 mb/s is a correct speed for me.
    I have other servers with other systems that allow me to download at much higher speeds, and I have an internet connection for 300 mb/s.

What can be limiting my download speed? ?(

I'm using:
    Debian GNU/Linux 8.10 (jessie)
    openmediavault / 3.0.99 / Erasmus

Thank you very much for your help.

• How are you connecting to the remote side?

Via VPN or is something opened up via a firewall rule

What is your internet speed on the source side & whats the speed like on the target side?

And have you tested what your throughput is like on the remote side locally on the device?

Motherboard : SuperMicro X10SLL-F | i3-4170 @ 3.7ghz | 32gb ECC RAM
    PSU: EVGA 500w
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5
    Controller : Dell H310 flashed with IT Mode Firmware
    DATA: 8x3TB

• Thanks for your answer captainwtf.
    I connect directly without using VPN or firewall rules.
    The server is in OVH, those are at 250 Mbps bandwidth, and in my office I have 300 Mbps. I do not think it is a problem of the destination, because with other OVH servers it works correctly.
    I would not know how to test the performance on the remote side locally on the device. Sorry, I'm not an advanced user. :/

any idea?

• You put this under the FTP section,

Are you using a FTP client to transfer data by chance, I do know there is differences between FTP clients like WinSCP/FileZilla which can effect transfer speeds.

In terms of testing the performance locally to the remote side you'd just need something over there you could move a file to/from it on the same local network to see what the speeds look like. I feel like it would be important to rule out it's an issue with the box itself vs fighting trying to see if it's an issue with something over the internet.

If it's an issue locally as well then we'd want to look at why it's an issue locally there as well. I don't know or think there is a way to do a throughput test on OMV from the machine itself.

• I am using winSCP but I have the same problem downloading from the web browser.

When I move files locally, the speed is correct, and when I send files from my office to the server it is also correct. The problem is only when downloading files.
    I think there must be some configuration parameter that limits the download speed, but I do not know where.

• I don't think by default there would be any type of speed throttling....

Try using a FileZilla client, I've specifically had issues with WinSCP in terms of transfer speeds.

And are you referring to accessing FTP via web browser?... are you doing FTP or SFTP?

• I installed Fillezilla and the problem is the same.
    I try FTP access via web browser and try to download a public file using the url (HTTP) is still the same problem.

Thanks captainwtf!

• A bit odd.

The only other thing I can suggest is ensuring on the remote side that your speeds are greater than that you can get over the internet.

Are there other things you can access between locations that provides greater speeds than what you're getting to the remote side storage repository?

• I do not understand very well your question. But I have tried to download from the var directory and from the root and the same thing happens.
    I have written to OVH to see if you can help me.

• All you have told us is you have a OMV device in some remote office that is accessible over an internet connection that has over 200mb/s speeds, the source side has 300mb/s speeds however you have not confirmed if you can achieve faster speeds to the storage repository with LOCAL access to it instead of accessing it over the internet.

The whole point of troubleshooting is to isolate the issue & narrow down where the issue does exist or might be, so we have to go through process of elimination.

So, once again.

Is there some way you can access a device on the remote side that has LOCAL network access to the affected device that has the speed issues & see if you can achieve any faster speeds locally compared to transferring over the internet, If you can achieve faster speeds locally compared to over the internet that helps rule out that the NAS device has an issue and would imply your issue could be elsewhere, if locally you have slow speeds via FTP, can you test locally via a file share? see if your speeds downloading/uploading to your NAS device are faster if you're using something like NFS/SMB/CIFS

If you can achieve faster speeds locally with FTP vs over the internet you'd need to look at the following, Is there any type of traffic shaping/throttling that could be occurring on either sides gateway device such as a firewall?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have mentioned here you download speed but you have not mentioned your upload link speed. This in most cases is asymmetrical, 10mb down, 1mbit up for example. The last speed would be download speed for remote clients.

• Sorry for my late reply.
    I was talking with my servers provider (OVH). They tell me that is a problem with their ARM servers and they will take months to fix it. I have to configure another new server for solve it.
    Thanks to captainwtf and subzero79 for help me.

• maximum download speed is 540 kb/s using SCP, FTP or HTTP

If this is true (same limitation for scp as for FTP/HTTP) then talking about a CPU bottleneck as the reason is pretty weird. If the CPU is the bottleneck then scp will be slow while FTP and HTTP not.

And configuring/checking the negotiated ciphers would result in different speeds ('scp -vv' to check, 'scp -c arcfour' to increase speed if both sides support this -- pretty weak -- cipher)

• Hello tkaiser, I think you're right.

I tried to check the CPU using $ top while downloading the same file via FTP, HTTP and SCP. This is the result for SCP and FTP.

PIDUSERPRNIVIRTRESSHRS%CPU%MEMTIME+COMMAND
    10991root2001394401357843728R100.06.60:12.53sshd
    10490ftp12001563268004840S0.30.30:00.60proftpd

While downloading by HTTP, I have not found the row in the "top". Do you have any ideas so I can solve it?
    I tried to check it using $ scp -vv but I'm not an expert user, I think it is not recognized "-vv".

Thank you.

• While downloading by HTTP, I have not found the row in the "top". Do you have any ideas so I can solve it?

Why would you? If it doesn't appear in top everything is fine and CPU utilization below 1% or something like that.

If they're here talking about your hoster then I really don't understand what's going on since Marvell Armada 375 while being slow when looking at CPU horsepower (and lack of ARMv8 Crypto Extensions since being an old ARMv7 SoC) should even reach Gigabit Ethernet speeds.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!