WARNING: Do NOT ubgrade to Kernel 4.16 if you use ZFS

• Hello
    The current ZFS version provided by openmediavault-zfs and zfsutils-linux is 0.7.6.
    This version is not compatible with the Linux kernel version 4.16 and fails to build.
    ZFS will be unusable until ZoL 0.7.8 or above is released in the Debian repository.
    The release of 0.7.8 is still pending.

Sources:
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=897568
    https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/zfs-linux
    https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/7179

Greetings
    Vincent

• Yeah unfortunately using ZFS with Debian isn’t as easy as Ubuntu, for example, where everything is provided in a “will just work” fashion, even when blindly upgrading the kernel. It would be great if Debian would just bite the bullet and do the same as Canonical (or better still Oracle release ZFS from it’s CDDL chains) but I think we have more of a chance of pigs flying.

One could argue though, that anyone using ZFS should probably have some command line skills anyway, and more than likely enough experience to revert a kernel in 5 seconds. As long as you spot the build errors before any reboot, you shouldn’t suffer unplanned downtime of your pool(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

The current ZFS version provided by openmediavault-zfs and zfsutils-linux is 0.7.6.
    This version is not compatible with the Linux kernel version 4.16 and fails to build.
    ZFS will be unusable until ZoL 0.7.8 or above is released in the Debian repository.
    The release of 0.7.8 is still pending.

I did post this in the big zfs thread as well. Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13-4.15?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you want to build ZFS 0.7.9...

From https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Building-ZFS

Code
    root@home-server:~# apt-get install build-essential autoconf libtool gawk alien fakeroot linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    root@home-server:~# apt-get install zlib1g-dev uuid-dev libattr1-dev libblkid-dev libselinux-dev libudev-dev libssl-dev libelf-dev
    root@home-server:~# apt-get install parted lsscsi ksh

Then you need to install this version on your 4.14 kernel, and then upgraded the kernel to 4.16 I think... I haven't done it and will probably try on a VM before running it on my NAS.

Cheers,

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sbocquet ()

• Once you have compiled all the stuff, and "make deb" in both the SPL and ZFS dir, you will have some *-dkms.deb package to install (spl-dkms_0.7.9-1_amd64.deb and zfs-dkms_0.7.9-1_amd64.deb like the normal install from repository). At the moment, I can't find the new zfsutils-linux package...

The only thing is that ZFS 0.7.6 don't work with kernel 4.16 and ZFS 0.7.9 don't work with kernel 4.14... so what to upgrade first ??? Kernel you loose your pool (temporary?), ZFS you cannot since you don't have upgraded your kernel...

Maybe someone better than me could help...

ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

• je suis arrive au même conclusions. ZFS 0.7.6 ne fonctionne pas avec kernel 4.14.

erreur de compilation ZFS 0.7.9 avec kernel 4.14
    je vais faire des essais avec kernel 4.15

• Once you have compiled all the stuff, and "make deb" in both the SPL and ZFS dir, you will have some *-dkms.deb package to install (spl-dkms_0.7.9-1_amd64.deb and zfs-dkms_0.7.9-1_amd64.deb like the normal install from repository). At the moment, I can't find the new zfsutils-linux package...

The only thing is that ZFS 0.7.6 don't work with kernel 4.16 and ZFS 0.7.9 don't work with kernel 4.14... so what to upgrade first ??? Kernel you loose your pool (temporary?), ZFS you cannot since you don't have upgraded your kernel...

Maybe someone better than me could help...

hopefully the devs over at debian fix this anytime soon so the "normal" user doesn't have to deal with this :|

• je suis arrive au même conclusions. ZFS 0.7.6 ne fonctionne pas avec kernel 4.14.

erreur de compilation ZFS 0.7.9 avec kernel 4.14
    je vais faire des essais avec kernel 4.15

ZFS 0.7.6 works with kernel 4.14... (see my signature) but not with 4.16.
    ZFS 0.7.9 need kernel 4.16...