WARNING: Do NOT ubgrade to Kernel 4.16 if you use ZFS

• I get this error

DKMS: install completed.
    Building initial module for 4.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
    /var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.9/build/configure: line 13069: dpkg-architecture: command not found
    configure: error:
    *** Please make sure the kmod spl devel <kernel> package for your
    *** distribution is installed then try again. If that fails you
    *** can specify the location of the spl objects with the
    *** '--with-spl-obj=PATH' option. Failed to find spl_config.h in
    *** any of the following:
    /usr/src/spl-0.7.9/4.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
    /usr/src/spl-0.7.9
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.9/build/make.log for more information.

EDIT: found this
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=909096

• By the way... Me be it’s a good advice for some other guys.

I always look at the outstanding updates and decide which update I install directly and which update has to wait. Everything related to kernel and zfs has to wait until somebody wrote that the latest version works. I never install them blind. Not everybody has virtual machines to test every update. Backups of the system disk prior updating the kernel or zfs may be a good way to go.

But yes, it’s much more easy to use the proxmox kernel or hold a working backports kernel.

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• @hoppel118 i am more a living on the edge guy and i hate to wait for upgrades.
    Yes i know that i will run once a while into problems, but if nobody does the upgrade and wait, then the rest who is waiting will never get their answer ;)

Having said that anyone has an idea , the bug refers to 0.7.11 needed?

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/zfs-linux shows 0.7.11 in backports why do i not get it, does the plugin need to be updated?

• Ok, so you have to live with such problems sometimes.

Why do you use zfs 0.7.9 and not 0.7.11?

0.7.11 is the latest zfs version at omv (debian 9). Here you see what is installed at my omv:

Code
    root@omv4:~# dpkg --list | grep zfs
    ii  libzfs2linux                        0.7.11-1~bpo9+1                amd64        OpenZFS filesystem library for Linux
    ii  openmediavault-zfs                  4.0.4                          amd64        OpenMediaVault plugin for ZFS
    ii  zfs-dkms                            0.7.11-1~bpo9+1                all          OpenZFS filesystem kernel modules for Linux
    ii  zfs-zed                             0.7.11-1~bpo9+1                amd64        OpenZFS Event Daemon
    ii  zfsutils-linux                      0.7.11-1~bpo9+1                amd64        command-line tools to manage OpenZFS filesystems

What is the result of apt-get update and apt-get upgrade?

In the output of these commands you should see the latest zfs packages, which can be installed by Yes.

The alternative is to install the latest stable proxmox kernel:

But I think it's not an alternative for a living on the edge guy.

When you got everything to work, you should consider to hold that kernel:

And if you have the time, you can install the latest backports kernel to be back at the edge again.

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Ok, great! Please report back, if it works for you.

• Yes i finally managed, i booted of the 4.18.0.0 kernel again installed the backports zfs, which comes with 0.7.11 straight from debian.
    Only issue here is that the plugin i had un-installed before this, what i did was just installing the plugin after it to get the GUI info. Which worked, have pool back and everything works.

• Yes, that‘s the way, it should be done! ;)

Regards Hoppel

• Ok but how do you check if it works without trying, i do not have a virtual test environment and in the forum there is no section for this.
    Would be great if there would be a section with new kernels saying this works, this not but yes that would be lots of work.

• You can either:

Scan the usual threads to see if someone has tried and it works - probably hoppel :)

Or

Go for it when you have a few minutes and it’s not mission critical to be up and running (in case it doesn’t work). Remember not to auto remove the old kernel and, if you find it doesn’t work, revert.

Personally I prefer the former. But I also don’t upgrade the kernel too often on my critical systems. I totally get wanting to be as up to date as possible, but this is Debian, not Arch or Gentoo. Unless you really need a certain fix or feature in x kernel version, the rest of the system will work just fine without it being the latest and greatest. It’s more important that your data is available. It’s the apps that provide the majority of the functionality. Unless you’re using something like a particular TV tuner or other peripheral or filesystem that will definitely benefit from the newer kernel or that kernel brings significant performance gains or bug fixes - do you really need it?

My stretch boxes are on 4.16 at the moment and my bionic boxes are on 4.15. All is well :)

With all that said, newer is better :P just check the forums or post and ask. You’ll know soon enough if you can unhold and upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• You can either:

Scan the usual threads to see if someone has tried and it works - probably hoppel :)

That may be true... ;)

Or

Go for it when you have a few minutes and it’s not mission critical to be up and running (in case it doesn’t work). Remember not to auto remove the old kernel and, if you find it doesn’t work, revert.

That is what I do, if nobody here in the omv forum wrote something about failure or success with new kernel updates. I always look at github to see, if that new kernel is compatible with the installed zfs version of my omv system before upgrading a kernel. Here you can click on your zfs version to see the supported kernels:

https://zfsonlinux.org

In the past it was sometimes the case, that you see a new kernel update, but the supported zfs packages came later. This was a silly situation for the people who installed their omv from scratch. But @ryecoaaron brought us an easy way to install the latest proxmox kernel. With that kernel you always have the possibility to install zfs successfully. The proxmox kernel is not that old! It’s kernel 4.15.

Unless you’re using something like a particular TV tuner or other peripheral or filesystem that will definitely benefit from the newer kernel or that kernel brings significant performance gains or bug fixes - do you really need it?

That was exactly my problem. I have a dvb tuner card (digital devices max s8), which got a lot of updates up to kernel 4.18.

Now I am using this kernel and for me I don’t see the need for a life on the edge anymore. Everything works stable. I am not sure if I can really make the leap into a normal life. :)

Best regards Hoppel

• Hi,

today I updated to latest kernel 4.18 and latest zfs 0.7.12 in debian backports:

Code
    root@omv4:~# uname -a
    Linux omv4 4.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.18.6-1~bpo9+1 (2018-09-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code
    root@omv4:~# dpkg --list | grep zfs
    ii  libzfs2linux                        0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                amd64        OpenZFS filesystem library for Linux
    ii  openmediavault-zfs                  4.0.4                          amd64        OpenMediaVault plugin for ZFS
    ii  zfs-dkms                            0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                all          OpenZFS filesystem kernel modules for Linux
    ii  zfs-zed                             0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                amd64        OpenZFS Event Daemon
    ii  zfsutils-linux                      0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                amd64        command-line tools to manage OpenZFS filesystems

Everything seems to work as expected.

Regards Hoppel

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Buster is officially frozen. So, if you are using the backports kernel and moved to 4.19, that should be the last version change on OMV 4.x

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Seems the zfs fix is pretty trivial... https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/8259

just disable the vectorized versions of the checksums if _kernel_fpu{begin,end} are not detected.

• Good. :) I wouldn’t be without ZOL and I wouldn’t use FreeBSD. Talking of which, looks like they’ll soon being using the ZOL code: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.…m&px=FreeBSD-ZFS-On-Linux

I wonder if this will encourage major changes... the kind of changes that probably haven’t happened in order to maintain compatibility with FreeBSD? If the major players are all using the same code base, will pool shrinking and defragging finally arrive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wonder if this will encourage major changes... the kind of changes that probably haven’t happened in order to maintain compatibility with FreeBSD?

Now that you mentioned it, I can't help but wonder where the largest ZFS user base is? BSD, Solaris, or Linux?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now that you mentioned it, I can't help but wonder where the largest ZFS user base is? BSD, Solaris, or Linux?

Probably solaris in the corporate world but bsd switched to ZoL because there is more work happening on Linux.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!