WARNING: Do NOT ubgrade to Kernel 4.16 if you use ZFS

• Offizieller Beitrag

With the ZOL project being sponsored and ran by the Lawrence Livermore National Lab, well,, that's really powerful backing. (Tax payer funded.) It's no wonder why more is going on in ZOL. Yep, this hiccup with kernel 5 should be resolved in no time.

• Hi,

two days ago I updated to latest kernel 4.19:

Code
    root@omv4:~# uname -a
    Linux omv4 4.19.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.12-1~bpo9+1 (2018-12-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    root@omv4:~# dpkg --list | grep zfs
    ii  libzfs2linux                        0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                amd64        OpenZFS filesystem library for Linux
    ii  openmediavault-zfs                  4.0.4                          amd64        OpenMediaVault plugin for ZFS
    ii  zfs-dkms                            0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                all          OpenZFS filesystem kernel modules for Linux
    ii  zfs-zed                             0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                amd64        OpenZFS Event Daemon
    ii  zfsutils-linux                      0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                amd64        command-line tools to manage OpenZFS filesystems

Everything seems to work as expected with zfs 0.7.12.

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• It was only the kernel update to 4.19, zfs 0.7.12 was already installed.

I‘ve just executed „zpool status“ to look if there is an upgrade for my pool. But there is no zpool upgrade available.

Why do you think there should be an upgrade?

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not a ZFS upgrade - a pool upgrade. To upgrade from OMV3, I did a clean OMV 4.0 build, upgraded to kernel 4.19 and then installed the ZFS plugin.

Apparently, the newest plugin supports a newer version of ZOL.

zpool status returns the following:

Code
    pool: ZFS1 state: ONLINEstatus: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support the features. See zpool-features(5) for details.

etc., etc.

There's no hurry, it will work fine like this indefinitely, so I don't plan to upgrade the pool right away.

I was just wondering if you upgraded your pool along the way.

• Yes, we are talking from the same thing. ;)

In January 2018 I recognized the upgrade and documented it here:

Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13-4.15?

In May 2018 I recognized that I still did not upgrade my pool:

and I did the upgrade the same day:

It took only 3 seconds and was not a big deal! ;)

Regards Hoppel

• Offizieller Beitrag

It took only 3 seconds and was not a big deal!

Keeping the pool at the earlier version allows me to back out, back to OMV3.X if need. I'm configuring up OMV4, on my main server, and I'm waiting for the second shoe to drop. (Urbackup doesn't work!, or something like that.) That's overly cautious I know.

• Do you really think that you ever go back to omv3? ;) For me there is only the way into the other direction to omv5 nowadays.

Regards Hoppel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you really think that you ever go back to omv3?

While there's no going back, in any real sense, I would back out until I could find a work around or patch for something I deem to be essential. (In any case, that's a very narrow possibility. I suspect all will be fine.)

For me there is only the way into the other direction to omv5 nowadays.

You may find that you may not care for that direction. -> OMV5
    I chimed in -> here, but there were many cautionary comments.

• Hm..., I am not ready for that step. At the moment I still hope for a omv zfs plugin and a general solution for the GPL trouble.

What about the raid 5/6 errors? Are they solved with the latest kernel updates?

Zitat

The parity RAID code has multiple serious data-loss bugs in it. It should not be used for anything other than testing purposes.

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID56

Regards Hoppel

• Hi,

today I updated to the latest kernel 4.19 in debian backports:

Code
    root@omv4:~# uname -a
    Linux omv4 4.19.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.16-1~bpo9+1 (2019-02-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

zfs 0.7.12 was already installed:

Code
    root@omv4:~# dpkg --list | grep zfs
    ii  libzfs2linux                        0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                amd64        OpenZFS filesystem library for Linux
    ii  openmediavault-zfs                  4.0.4                          amd64        OpenMediaVault plugin for ZFS
    ii  zfs-dkms                            0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                all          OpenZFS filesystem kernel modules for Linux
    ii  zfs-zed                             0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                amd64        OpenZFS Event Daemon
    ii  zfsutils-linux                      0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                amd64        command-line tools to manage OpenZFS filesystems

Everything seems to work as expected so far.

Regards Hoppel

• Debian will never stop having ZFS and I can’t see the plugin disappearing either.

I hope so! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Debian will never stop having ZFS and I can’t see the plugin disappearing either.

Even if Debian does, I doubt Ubuntu will which in turn helps Proxmox. And since we can use the proxmox kernel on Debian, everything is good.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I upgraded all packages, which upgraded my kernel as well.
    After reboot I noticed that none of my shared folders were accessible. If I try to edit them via the web ui, I get:

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\Config\DatabaseException: Failed to execute XPath query '//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='2368cce0-fb6e-45e8-a354-121d8c624d15']'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:78
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc(231): OMV\Config\Database->get('conf.system.fil...', '2368cce0-fb6e-4...')
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceShareMgmt->get(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('get', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('ShareMgmt', 'get', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

I'm running kernel 4.19.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 and zfs 0.7.12-1~bpo9+1

My pool is visible in the web ui (status OK) and the zfs-share.service is running.

Does anybody have a clue how I can get out of this mess?

• Update: I figured out that the first time after I started the kernel, the zfs modules were not loaded.
    However, I had some docker containers which had a volume mapped to a directory on the zfs pool. These were automatically re-created in the pool's mount point.
    So somehow, the next time I rebooted, the zfs modules were loaded and zfs-share service started, but the mount failed because the directory was not empty.

I emptied the directory and now the pool got mounted, but the uuid has changed.
    I manually updated the uuid in /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and now I can edit the shared folders. However, my samba shares for those shared folders still fail.
    Does somebody know how I can restore the samba sharing?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!