Docker plexmediaserver and emby - I can't connect to the servers

• Hello,

This is my first time trying to use Docker on OMV. I first tried installing the container linuxserver/plex. I followed the directions found here. I didn't see any obvious problems other than when I try to connect via 192.168.1.x:32400/web, I get an "err_connection_refused".

My plexmediaserver log gives this:

I then tried to install the emby docker container via emby/embyserver. I couldn't find any specific instructions on setting it up in Docker. I tried Network Host: bridge. I entered in PUID and PGID as I did for the plex container, and a container path for the /config. This container is stuck on "restarting."

I don't know if these two problems are related but I thought I'd list them at the same time.

thanks

• Can you post the log for the plex container available from the docker GUI by selecting the container and pressing the Logs button?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Can you post the log for the plex container available from the docker GUI by selecting the container and pressing the Logs button?

• Another user was not able to use a shared folder for his config directory. Can you try to use a path elsewhere, maybe on your system drive at least just to test it?

I gave it a try. I created a directory on my system drive and changed its permissions to 777. Changed the config location on the plex container. It worked.

But I wonder why it didn't work when I had config on my sharedfolders. It looks like all the directories have 777 permissions?

• Just a heads up.

For the Plex Docker, its /config is a bit of a misnomer. It also holds the Metadata database. Depending on how you run Plex and the number of media files you have (movies, music, TV Shows, etc), this database can become quite large. Mine is currently at about 150GB, and grows about 3GB per day. And in case I was not clear, this is the metadata only, not the actual media files themselves. If your system drives fills up, many things will stop working, not just Plex.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Understood on using config on a share. I have a 120 gb system drive so that will last for a little while but I wonder why it doesn’t work on a shared drive. If this was a common issue everyone has I’m sure I would have read about this before now.

• What other settings did you use in your emby container? Can you post a screenshot? I tried changing the UID and GID to a generic user instead of bin but that didn't help. I also tried a config directory on my installation drive but that didn't work either.

• I run Plex in the Docker too, but I did not point the /config to an OMV defined Shared Folder. I pointed it to the actual folder on the drive. None of my dockers have their /config pointed to OMV defined Shared Folders.

I think your problem is related to a combined set of ownership and permission problems probably aggravated by using OMV's Shared Folders Privileges and ACL settings. I never use those here for anything.

--

• I run Plex in the Docker too, but I did not point the /config to an OMV defined Shared Folder. I pointed it to the actual folder on the drive. None of my dockers have their /config pointed to OMV defined Shared Folders.

I think your problem is related to a combined set of ownership and permission problems probably aggravated by using OMV's Shared Folders Privileges and ACL settings. I never use those here for anything.

I'll set my folder up via SSH. However, I'm new to OMV 4.x, coming from 2.x. I used to go to my drives via /media/UUID/.... This heirarchy doesn't work any more. So dumb question of the day: what/where is the path to my data drives?

thanks

• /media was deprecated. Your drives are now in /srv/

--

• Thanks everyone, Plex is now working. In summary, my solution for Plex was to remove the shared folder created via OMV webgui and create the config directory on my data drives via the shell.

I did the same for Emby and the docker seems to be running but I still cannot connect. I have tried both the bin user (bin:bin) and creating my own user (user1:user), and changing the ownership of the config directory and files accordingly.

• Using the OMV Docker GUI, select the Emby container and press the Logs button. Most often identifiable problems will be seen there.

--

• Ugh, I had to create PGID and PGUI in Emby. I knew to do that in Plex but didn't do it in emby. It's now working. FWIW I have now had emby running successfully with config either my system drive or a data drive.

Thanks so much for the help and hopefully this thread will help others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!