Correct updating order

• Hi everyone,

before I do something stupid, I think I ask beforehand :D

My setup is running latest OMV 3.x on a Debian Jessie install with jessie-backports kernel (v4.9bpo6 currently). The installation of Debian was done before OMV, and does not come from a OMV-Debian-ISO but from a plain Debian ISO. OMV was installed afterwards by standard Debian apt commands. I don't know how that differs from installation via OMV-Debian-ISO but I want to keep it somehow unentangled because I don't understand what the OMV-Debian-ISO does differently from a "normal" Debian.

So how would I proceed with my update to OMV 4? I would propose that order:

1) Disable OMV 3 plugins unavailable in OMV 4
    2) Prevent OMV from automatically starting. In order to not start it accidentally on Stretch when OMV packages are not updated yet. (Is it necessary? Which parts would be critical?)
    3) Do Debian dist-upgrade to Stretch
    4) Do update of OMV packages to 4.x
    5) Re-enable automatic starting of OMV components (if not already done by OMV 4 itself)

Is that correct? Are there any caveats I should be aware of? Are steps missing? Is the order wrong?

Is it advisable to take the mdadm drive array offline while updating or is it better left online such that OMV 4 has a valid configuration to migrate?

Any helpful comments are welcome.

Best regards
    weaker

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know how that differs from installation via OMV-Debian-ISO but I want to keep it somehow unentangled because I don't understand what the OMV-Debian-ISO does differently from a "normal" Debian.

There is very little that is different. The OMV iso is the debian installer with a customized set of rules of what to install that is exactly what OMV needs. Your install probably has more packages than needed.

1 - I would remove them not disable them. If they haven't been ported, they probably won't be.
    2 - Nope. You are overthinking this too much. Just let the OMV upgrader (omv-release-upgrade) do the right thing.
    3 - DEFINITELY NOPE. You want to upgrade OMV and Debian at the same time. The omv upgrader does this.
    4 - See #3
    5 - See #2

No, you don't need to take mdadm offline. The only issue I saw when I did an upgrade from 3.x to 4.x this weekend was the omv-extras repos weren't upgraded. I need to look at the pre-upgrade script that omv-release-upgrade runs to change the repos from erasmus to arrakis in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/omv-extras-org.list omv-extras wasn't at the latest version which caused this issue.

As always, I advise making a backup before this and testing the upgrade process in a virtual machine.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!