[Solved] Virtualbox linux header issue on 3.9 kernel

• Please could someone help me with this:

I am running OpenMediaVault 0.4.35 with kernel 3.9.10/3.10.1 (have tried with both) and I am trying to install virtual box.

This is as far as I get with the Command line install (the webUI install fails at a point with a communication error)

Where/how can I get the Linux headers for the 3.9.10 or 3.10.1 kernels?

OMV Stoneburner 2.1.x with 3.16 backports kernel
    Asus Z87I-Pro | i7-4770 | 16GB RAM
    Plugins: Calibre | fail2ban | MySQL | NUT | SMB/CIFS | SSH | VirtualBox

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von monty13 ()

• After a lot of playing around, I figured out that the headers weren't being installed when I did the kernel update because they required an updated libc6

Code
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     linux-headers-3.10.1-031001-generic : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14) but 2.11.3-4 is installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

Using apt-get -f install then removes linux-headers-3.10.1-031001-generic

So I have tried updating libc6, but got told I have the latest version
    Then I added the testing repositories, tried updating it, but got told it cannot update due to the 2.11.3-4 version having dependencies.

What should I do now?

• It was pointed out here (http://forums.openmediavault.o…=9&t=2201&start=30#p14158) by ryecoaaron that I was using the wrong kernels, so bakc to the drawing board. After much googling, reading, and even more Clonezilla, this is what I came up with:

Starting with a disk image with working LAN on the 2.6 kernel (got it from Nay001 - we have the same setups) - Because the LAN drivers had to be built and injected, some tools are already on the system, that are necessary to the build. When I have more time, I will try from scratch and figure out everything that one needs to do.
    NB: VirtualBox has not been installed yet!

First edited DNS settings (otherwise OMV doesn't see the repos):

Code
    nano /etc/resolv.conf

Code
    search local
    nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4

then modified my sources list to look like:

Code
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the VirtualBox repository and key:

Code
    echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian squeeze contrib non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Then, to update kernel & header:

Code
    apt-get clean
    apt-get update
    apt-cache search linux-image
    apt-get install linux-image-3.9-1-amd64
    apt-get install linux-headers-3.9-1-amd64

apt-get install mdadm                  //this is so you can build RAID arrays in OMV - the previous mdadm version does not like the new kernel.
    apt-get install parted                  //this is so big disks can be used
    apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-3.9-1-amd64   //update the build essentials too (needed for later)

Reboot time!

Edit the repositories again (testing was only for the kernel, don't want the rest of the testing stuff, it makes OMV break as I found out).
    Remove the #s from in front of the lines with 'squeeze' and add #s to the lines that have 'testing' (you want it to look like the picture below)

Code
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Then to just refresh our original sources

Code
    apt-get clean
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

(The upgrade command has the benefit of upgrading the components of OMV that are listed under the web interface upgrade manager)

Then access the Web Interface and install the VirtualBox Plugin (for me, the makepasswd all 1.10-5 [12.2 kB] takes for ever.)

It will fail (@ Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules), but no worries, SSH in again and do the following to install the latest version over the version we installed from the web interface:

Code
    wget -c download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.16/virtualbox-4.2_4.2.16-86992~Debian~squeeze_amd64.deb
    dpkg -i virtualbox-4.2_4.2.16-86992~Debian~squeeze_amd64.deb

And now I have a working OMV install with the 3.9.8 kernel and a working VirtualBox!

9 Mal editiert, zuletzt von monty13 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Very helpful post and good to hear :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I've made a few adjustments and added a picture of what the repos must look like after you edit them for the second time.
    I hope it's useful!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!