Cannot install USB plugin to create a backup

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cannot install USB plugin to create a backup

Hi, I have just posted an issue having to do with RAID1 degradation. In fact, I was trying to make a backup copy using an external USB HDD, and found that there is a plugin to automate the mount / backup / unmount procedure. After attempting to install the plugin, the system refuses and shows the following:

Reading package lists...
      Building dependency tree...
      >>> *************** Error ***************
      Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-usbbackup 2>&1': Reading package lists...
      Reading state information...
      You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
      The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      libtirpc1 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.16) but 2.13-38+deb7u12 is to be installed
      Depends: libgssapi-krb5-2 (>= 1.14+dfsg) but 1.10.1+dfsg-5+deb7u9 is to be installed
      Breaks: nfs-common (< 1:1.2.8-7) but 1:1.2.6-4 is to be installed
      Breaks: nfs-kernel-server (< 1:1.2.8-7) but 1:1.2.6-4 is to be installed
      E
      :
      Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
      <<< *************************************
      Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-usbbackup 2>&1': Reading package lists...
      Reading state information...
      You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
      The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      libtirpc1 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.16) but 2.13-38+deb7u12 is to be installed
      Depends: libgssapi-krb5-2 (>= 1.14+dfsg) but 1.10.1+dfsg-5+deb7u9 is to be installed
      Breaks: nfs-common (< 1:1.2.8-7) but 1:1.2.6-4 is to be installed
      Breaks: nfs-kernel-server (< 1:1.2.8-7) but 1:1.2.6-4 is to be installed
      E
      :
      Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

The error messages go on and on, I guess the above ones will be good enough as an example.

Any help will be appreciated!

Regards

Alberto
    • What is the output of:

dpkg -l | grep openm
      cat /etc/apt/sources.list
      cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
      omv 4.1.9 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.9
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Here it goes, I do not know how to create a text box for replies.

root@OMV:~# dpkg -l | grep openm
      ii openmediavault 2.2.14 all Open network attached storage solution
      ii openmediavault-autoshutdown 1.0.8 all OpenMediaVault AutoShutdown Plugin
      ii openmediavault-fail2ban 1.1.5 all OpenMediaVault Fail2ban plugin
      ii openmediavault-keyring 0.4 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
      ii openmediavault-locate 1.2 all locate plugin for OpenMediaVault.
      ii openmediavault-nut 2.0 all OpenMediaVault Network UPS Tools (NUT) plugin
      ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 2.13.9 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
      ii openmediavault-plexmediaserver 1.0.15 all OpenMediaVault Plex Media Server plugin
      ii openmediavault-transmissionbt 1.4 all OpenMediaVault Transmission (BitTorrent client) plugin.
      ii openmediavault-wol 1.0.4 all OpenMediaVault WOL plugin
      root@OMV:~#
      root@OMV:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
      #
      # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.0.0 _Wheezy_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20150629-08:52]/ wheezy contrib main non-free
      #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.0.0 _Wheezy_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20150629-08:52]/ wheezy contrib main non-free
      deb ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main non-free
      deb ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
      deb-src ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main non-free
      deb security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
      deb-src security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
      # wheezy-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
      deb ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
      deb-src ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
      root@OMV:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
      # Custom repos
      # Regular omv-extras.org repo
      deb packages.omv-extras.org/debian/ stoneburner main
      # Plexmediaserver repo
      deb packages.omv-extras.org/debian/ stoneburner-plex main
      deb dh2k.omv-extras.org/debian/ plex-wheezy-mirror main
      deb packages.openmediavault.org/public stoneburner main
      # deb downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openmediavault/packages stoneburner main
      ## Uncomment the following line to add software from the proposed repository.
      # deb packages.openmediavault.org/public stoneburner-proposed main
      # deb downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openmediavault/packages stoneburner-proposed main
      ## This software is not part of OpenMediaVault, but is offered by third-party
      ## developers as a service to OpenMediaVault users.
      # deb packages.openmediavault.org/public stoneburner partner
      # deb downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openmediavault/packages stoneburner partner
      deb file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives /root@OMV:~#
    • deb [url='http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian']ftp.us.debian.org/debian[/url] sid main non-free

You need to remove this line from /etc/apt/sources.list that you added. This is causing the problems. If your system installed a lot of packages from sid, you will have a mess on your hands. I highly recommend fresh installing OMV 4.x.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • Thanks a lot for your help!

I deleted the line you proposed, but all of the sudden, I can no longer gain access to GUI, it always shows 403 forbidden....

I am wondering whether it is possible to run a fresh install and keep the RAID discs with all data, and try to solve the RAID issue after upgrading to 4.0. I fear that the new install will delete the raid volume and attempt to create a new one instead. Any suggestions?

Best regards

Alberto
    • alocam wrote:

I deleted the line you proposed, but all of the sudden, I can no longer gain access to GUI, it always shows 403 forbidden....
      That line has nothing to do with the web interface. If you updated a lot of packages after changing that line, it could cause problems. But I think you have a bunch of sid packages on your system causing problems.

alocam wrote:

I am wondering whether it is possible to run a fresh install and keep the RAID discs with all data, and try to solve the RAID issue after upgrading to 4.0.
      Yes, you can. The recommended install method has you disconnect the data drives making it impossible for the installer to delete anything.

alocam wrote:

I fear that the new install will delete the raid volume and attempt to create a new one instead.
      Nope. After installing, you shutdown the system and plug the data drives back in. After booting back up, the system should detect the raid array and filesystem. Then you just mount the filesystem in the Filesystems tab and recreate your users and shared folders.

• Hello, I have just fresh installed OMV4.1, and reconnected SATA cables for RAID1 HDDs.

I still have a clean, degraded array, even though SMART states disks are OK. I am trying to rebuild the array to find out whether I can get rid of the "degraded" status, to no avail.

I tried to run

root@OMV:~# umount /dev/md127
      root@OMV:~# mdadm --stop /dev/md127
      mdadm: Cannot get exclusive access to /dev/md127:Perhaps a running process, mounted filesystem or active volume group?

It looks like I cannot stop RAID in order to attempt mdadm --assemble. Do you think it is a good idea to try to reassemble the array?

If so, is there a way to kill the offending process so that I can run the assemble instruction? Any other suggestions? I am a bit lost here, and I have been struggling for a couple of days now.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter! It is good to know there is people out there willing to help!

Regards

Alberto
    • alocam wrote:

Perhaps a running process, mounted filesystem or active volume group?

It looks like I cannot stop RAID in order to attempt mdadm --assemble. Do you think it is a good idea to try to reassemble the array?

If so, is there a way to kill the offending process so that I can run the assemble instruction? Any other suggestions? I am a bit lost here, and I have been struggling for a couple of days now.
      Boot systemrescuecd and re-assemble it there.

• Hello, I was finally (and unexpectedly) able to solve the RAID issue in a pretty straightforward manner. THe systemrescuecd did not work as expected, but I ran mdadm to add a hard disk to the RAID, and OMV immediately began reassembling and checking RAID integrity....

I am now running V4.0, and I look forward to running rsync with a second NAS just in case.

By the way, I am reinstalling the UPS using the plugin, but it looks like it cannot send network messages to other servers attached to the same UPS in order to allow them to shut down. Do you know whether I should install and configure NUT instead of using the plugin?

Again, thank you for your guidance and help!

Regards
    • alocam wrote:

Do you know whether I should install and configure NUT instead of using the plugin?
      This has been requested before but still not implemented. So, I would either configure nut without the plugin or submit a pull request adding the functionality.