Omv filesystem ?

• There is no need to format the drive OMV will be installed to. The ISO installer will do that for you.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Yes, I know if you burn an iso with etcher :) - But I burn an iso on an SD card and use the nand-sata-install script to install it on Emmc and therefore I would know which file system :)? - The reason I do it is that there are problems with bootloader on some emmc :)

• You are going to have to more clear.

What published procedures are you using and don't they already answer your question?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I can not say it more clearly :) - I'm using an Emmc module of 16 gb from Odroid, but according to Tkaiser, I'll do the following:

"If you want to use this image on XU3 / XU4 together with an old hard core eMMC module, unfortunatly you will need an SD card (of any size) as first step. This is due to Hard core's eMMC modules sold prior to Oct 2017 still hosting an outdated u-boot version in the hidden eMMC boot partitions that are not accessible when you burn the image on your PC / Mac. So simply burn the OMV image to an SD card with Etcher, attach eMMC and SD card to your XU3 / XU4, adjust the boot switch to 'SD card' and boot the board. Once it has been rebooted automatically after few minutes, log in via Web UI, change passwords and activate 'permit root login' on the SSH service section. Then login as root via SSH , call 'nand-sata-install' and select 'Boot from eMMC - system on eMMC'. When finished 'nand-sata-install' will poweroff the board. Remove SD card now, adjust the boot switch and let the board boot from eMMC from then on. Of course it is also possible to transfer the installation to permanently attached USB / SATA st orage using the same method (but then the SD card has to remain attached since the bootloader can only be loaded from either SD card or eMMC on these boards) "

And all that fine BUT, what file format should I format during the process when I can choose more than one?

• I can not say it more clearly :) - I'm using an Emmc module of 16 gb from Odroid, but according to Tkaiser, I'll do the following:

"If you want to use this image on XU3 / XU4 together with an old hard core eMMC module, unfortunatly you will need an SD card (of any size) as first step. This is due to Hard core's eMMC modules sold prior to Oct 2017 still hosting an outdated u-boot version in the hidden eMMC boot partitions that are not accessible when you burn the image on your PC / Mac. So simply burn the OMV image to an SD card with Etcher, attach eMMC and SD card to your XU3 / XU4, adjust the boot switch to 'SD card' and boot the board. Once it has been rebooted automatically after few minutes, log in via Web UI, change passwords and activate 'permit root login' on the SSH service section. Then login as root via SSH , call 'nand-sata-install' and select 'Boot from eMMC - system on eMMC'. When finished 'nand-sata-install' will poweroff the board. Remove SD card now, adjust the boot switch and let the board boot from eMMC from then on. Of course it is also possible to transfer the installation to permanently attached USB / SATA st orage using the same method (but then the SD card has to remain attached since the bootloader can only be loaded from either SD card or eMMC on these boards) "

(OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1)

And all that fine BUT, what file format should I format during the process when I can choose more than one in nand-sata-install :) ?

• If you’re writing an image to an SD card, there’s no need to format it first. It will be written in whatever format the image is.

Utilities like Etcher probably use dd. Using dd for the purpose of writing an image to an SD card will write the SD card in the correct file system. Even if you format it first it will reformat or change it, so it doesn’t matter.

From what I can see, etcher doesn’t appear to have any file system choice options.. can you screenshot the multiple choice you’re talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Ok, you’re not where I thought you were in the installation. I thought you were prior to image write.

You can choose whatever you want there. It’s really up to you.

I’d recommend ext4 or btrfs. You may want to google the differences, but I don’t think it really matters. Either will do.

I personally use btrfs for my OS drives. It’s been pretty solid so far.

• what file format should I format during the process when I can choose more than one in nand-sata-install

I would try btrfs first since that's what we use on all OS images for all ARM boards except Raspberries (there we need to stick to ext4 since I fear RPi folks breaking things with the packages we use from them --> bootloader/kernel stuff that expects 'Raspbian SD card layout').

I don't remember exactly but we had a problem with nand-sata-install and btrfs but AFAIK that has been resolved already at the end of last year. So just as a warning: If you chose btrfs and the board later doesn't boot from eMMC then try ext4 too just to be sure.

• All you have to make sure is that the card uses decent chip. This applies to anything really.

So yes, Sandisk is great.

I’ve done the whole cheap flash thing years back and it sucks. Most who have used cheap flash memory have quickly come to regret it.

My choices are Sandisk and Kingston, maybe Samsung as their solid states are epic. Sony if you use XQD. Forget everything else. YMMV.

Edit: sorry if you meant class of card then that should do nicely.

• Thanks for reply :) - It creates a 7Gb drive for openmediavault I can see :) - What do I do with the remaining space :)?

Tkaiser says :

"The rootfs is a btrfs with active transparent filesystem compression combined with zram instead of swap. In case your installation media is 16 GB or more in size a 3rd partition gets automatically created on first boot you have to put a filesystem on manually to make use of it (eg. use it as an OMV share for small amounts of data that always have to be accessible to allow connected HDDs entering sleep/standby mode)"

In this thread : OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

Why does hard drive need this space to enter sleepmode ? - And should I add something extra to make it work :)

• Is this card okay for openmediavault?

OMV with flashmemory plugin active will run nicely on almost any card since writes to SD card are minimized. But since it's 2018 and we can buy SD cards compliant to A1 performance class in the meantime only those great A1 rated cards should be bought any more: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…ab=comments#comment-49811

Sequential storage performance with SBC is irrelevant ('speed class' and this MB/s thing). It's all and only about random IO performance (IOPS). This is what matters and only A1 rated cards guarantee good random IO performance.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!