OMV on IDE Flash Module (DOM)

• Hi!

I'm looking to extend the lifetime of my QNAP 509 Pro, since QNAP is dropping their support for these outdated models. So I thought I'd give OMV a go after trying Unraid! Did a test earlier today installing OMV on a USB stick and booting from that, everything seemed in order. Now I'm looking to install OMV in a more permanent fashion. Since I've upgraded this QNAP before (to a Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 and 2GB RAM), I've got an 8GB IDE Flash Module I could install OMV on, instead of the default 128MB that came with the QNAP. But seeing as it's still a flash module, I'm not sure it's the way to go. It does support wear-leveling, though (http://docs-europe.electrocomp…0d86/0900766b80d8619c.pdf). Perhaps running OMV on it with the Flash Memory plugin could be an option?

I read in another thread that someone opted for a sata port multiplier. The number of sata ports isn't a problem for me, since I got the QNAP 509 version which has a mobo similar to the QNAP 809. Meaning it's a five bay enclosure with 8 sata ports, making space for an extra disk an issue.

I'm not looking to do anything fancy with the NAS; media storage and transmission, mainly.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Perhaps running OMV on it with the Flash Memory plugin could be an option?

Yes, that should work fine.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

So you'd advise using the Flash Memory plugin rather than just installing and running from this particular module?

Without a doubt. I even think people should use it on ssds.

I'm not sure what the implications of the plugin are considering the 2GB RAM?

We have been using it for years on the arm images and a lot of those boards only have 1 GB RAM.

• I even think people should use it on ssds

Fully agree. The flashmemory plugin greatly reduces write amplification which is something you want on any flash based storage medium.

BTW: In Armbian we're discussing currently to switch from (uncompressed) tmpfs to compressed zram to store logs: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=54837 (in the same thread a few posts above also some elaborations on 'write amplification' and why that matters).

As soon as we come closer to a solution for Armbian's log2ram I'll ping you again so we might think about adopting this stuff for OMV's folder2ram too :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW: In Armbian we're discussing currently to switch from (uncompressed) tmpfs to compressed zram to store logs: forum.armbian.com/topic/6444-v…findComment&comment=54837 (in the same thread a few posts above also some elaborations on 'write amplification' and why that matters).

As soon as we come closer to a solution for Armbian's log2ram I'll ping you again so we might think about adopting this stuff for OMV's folder2ram too

I look forward to this and would gladly add it to folder2ram.

As for the logrotate, that is a tough one. The first idea I can think of is to compress it in zram (because it is faster) and the move it to a different directory (/var/archive/logs?) that is on disk using a postrotate script.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!