OMV on IDE Flash Module (DOM)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OMV on IDE Flash Module (DOM)

Hi!

I'm looking to extend the lifetime of my QNAP 509 Pro, since QNAP is dropping their support for these outdated models. So I thought I'd give OMV a go after trying Unraid! Did a test earlier today installing OMV on a USB stick and booting from that, everything seemed in order. Now I'm looking to install OMV in a more permanent fashion. Since I've upgraded this QNAP before (to a Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 and 2GB RAM), I've got an 8GB IDE Flash Module I could install OMV on, instead of the default 128MB that came with the QNAP. But seeing as it's still a flash module, I'm not sure it's the way to go. It does support wear-leveling, though (docs-europe.electrocomponents.…0d86/0900766b80d8619c.pdf). Perhaps running OMV on it with the Flash Memory plugin could be an option?

I read in another thread that someone opted for a sata port multiplier. The number of sata ports isn't a problem for me, since I got the QNAP 509 version which has a mobo similar to the QNAP 809. Meaning it's a five bay enclosure with 8 sata ports, making space for an extra disk an issue.

I'm not looking to do anything fancy with the NAS; media storage and transmission, mainly.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
    • JapsR wrote:

Perhaps running OMV on it with the Flash Memory plugin could be an option?
      Yes, that should work fine.
      omv 4.1.11 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.11
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • JapsR wrote:

So you'd advise using the Flash Memory plugin rather than just installing and running from this particular module?
      Without a doubt. I even think people should use it on ssds.

JapsR wrote:

I'm not sure what the implications of the plugin are considering the 2GB RAM?
      We have been using it for years on the arm images and a lot of those boards only have 1 GB RAM.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

I even think people should use it on ssds
      Fully agree. The flashmemory plugin greatly reduces write amplification which is something you want on any flash based storage medium.

BTW: In Armbian we're discussing currently to switch from (uncompressed) tmpfs to compressed zram to store logs: forum.armbian.com/topic/6444-v…findComment&comment=54837 (in the same thread a few posts above also some elaborations on 'write amplification' and why that matters).

As soon as we come closer to a solution for Armbian's log2ram I'll ping you again so we might think about adopting this stuff for OMV's folder2ram too :)
    • tkaiser wrote:

BTW: In Armbian we're discussing currently to switch from (uncompressed) tmpfs to compressed zram to store logs: forum.armbian.com/topic/6444-v…findComment&comment=54837 (in the same thread a few posts above also some elaborations on 'write amplification' and why that matters).

As soon as we come closer to a solution for Armbian's log2ram I'll ping you again so we might think about adopting this stuff for OMV's folder2ram too
      I look forward to this and would gladly add it to folder2ram.

As for the logrotate, that is a tough one. The first idea I can think of is to compress it in zram (because it is faster) and the move it to a different directory (/var/archive/logs?) that is on disk using a postrotate script.