Upgrading Hard Disks

• Hey all,

I'm currently purchasing 8 TB RED drives to replace the current 2tb,3,tb,4tb drives. I'm currently running Raid 5. What i want to know how do I replace the drives and still keep my data....

• Hello,

From my point of view, the only safe way to upgrade is to use another machine to create the new MD array, transfer the data, then move the array to the original system. The procedure that you pinpointed above is correct, but it doesn't take into consideration the fact that you need to perform one rebuild after each HDD is replaced, and the chance for an unrecoverable read error to occur is not negligible. I tell you this because on one from 3xWD RED 3TB (WD30EFRX) I started to see the Multi_Zone_Error_Rate counter increments after just 3 days of usage, and these are generated by UREs.

If you have backups for the data, you can proceed following the guide, if not ... keep in mind, RAID is not backup, and that method involves some risks.

• Hello,

From my point of view, the only safe way to upgrade is to use another machine to create the new MD array, transfer the data, then move the array to the original system. The procedure that you pinpointed above is correct, but it doesn't take into consideration the fact that you need to perform one rebuild after each HDD is replaced, and the chance for an unrecoverable read error to occur is not negligible. I tell you this because on one from 3xWD RED 3TB (WD30EFRX) I started to see the Multi_Zone_Error_Rate counter increments after just 3 days of usage, and these are generated by UREs.

If you have backups for the data, you can proceed following the guide, if not ... keep in mind, RAID is not backup, and that method involves some risks.

Could I just transfer all the data to a external and then swap 4 of the drives out to make a new array and then put the files back? I have 6 of the 8 8TB drives so i don't have the full 2nd array

• Hello,

Please describe your setup (number of drives / capacity / raid configuration) now, and the one that you are aiming after the upgrade. In this moment, the information that you provided in insufficient and I can't answer your question accurately.

• Hello,

Please describe your setup (number of drives / capacity / raid configuration) now, and the one that you are aiming after the upgrade. In this moment, the information that you provided in insufficient and I can't answer your question accurately.

I'm currently running a Lenovo Tiny m900 with a i7-6700T, I have 2 4 Bay Mediasonic Proboxe's connected via USB3.0 Each Device has a assortment of drive sizes ranging from 2TB - 4TB in them. I'm currently running a Raid 5 for each of the Mediasonic's then using Mergefs to combine them.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!