RAID 5 is not reshaping after installing a further HDD

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RAID 5 is not reshaping after installing a further HDD

Hi Guys,

I have a RAID 5 running with 3 x 3TB Disks. Now I have upgraded my Server with another 3TB Disk and I already increased the RAID-Size with this Disk but it is not reshaping. The disk is getting displayed as "spare" and everything else as "clean". What can I do to increase my RAID?

Here are the RAID-Details:

Display Spoiler
      Version : 1.2
      Creation Time : Mon Mar 26 21:25:53 2018
      Raid Level : raid5
      Array Size : 5860270080 (5588.79 GiB 6000.92 GB)
      Used Dev Size : 2930135040 (2794.39 GiB 3000.46 GB)
      Raid Devices : 3
      Total Devices : 4
      Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Intent Bitmap : Internal

Update Time : Wed May 23 19:13:22 2018
      State : clean
      Active Devices : 3
      Working Devices : 4
      Failed Devices : 0
      Spare Devices : 1

Layout : left-symmetric
      Chunk Size : 512K

Name : HackAttackMedia:HackAttackMedia (local to host HackAttackMedia)
      UUID : 98ca1c14:1d22286e:e6fcbc8d:7ca62ff8
      Events : 15580

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
      0 8 16 0 active sync /dev/sdb
      1 8 48 1 active sync /dev/sdd
      2 8 32 2 active sync /dev/sdc

3 8 64 - spare /dev/sde
    • By default, the GUI adds a new drive as a spare. If you want to insert the disk into the array, you'd need to do that from the command line.

CAUTION: Any type of RAID array reshape comes with considerable risk of losing the array. If you don't have backup of the irreplaceable data on the array, "backup" should be your first priority.

The following assumes your array name is md0

On the command line as root:

mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=4

Note that the reshape could take several hours, a day or more. While data is still available during the resilver process, it would be best to let it finish without running new file intensives operations (Rsync job's, for example).

When the reshape is done and the state is "clean", you'd need to go into Storage, File systems, and "Resize" the file system on the RAID device.

If something goes wrong, that's not critical, here's a resource to recover your array. Recover array
      (There's good general reading on mdadm RAID at this site.)
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing