Advice on My documents...

• I use 3 PC's and sometimes a laptop. I'd like to access My Documents from all three.

I've considered setting up a shared folder on OMV and pointing "My Documents" to it on all my PC's. But my access times would be slow on large files.

I've considered running a rsync to the shared folder, but the PC's aren't on 24/7.

I've considered using a torrent app like synthing. Which would be nice because my OMV doesn't need to be running.

I'm just not sure how to set this up. I'd like to be able to download some photos on one PC and later be able to access the photo on another PC later.

How do you guys store and access your files on OMV?

• I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on this as well. Generally, all my long-term storage is in shared folders on my server, but my desktop tends to accumulate little things like text and pdf documents, executable files, etc. Generally I just manually copy a file that I'll be accessing on another client to a shared folder, but there are always times that I forget and think that I should come up with a better system.

• Hello :)
    I use UrBackup plugin for that. I was testing it when installing OMV4 and like it.
    The bad news: it need a client installation (but on windows no rsync without tweak:) )

Good day.

Microserver Gen8 G1610t

omv 4.1.26-1 Arrakis | 4.15.18-20-pve | omvextrasorg 4.1.16

• Offizieller Beitrag

As a matter of organization, I keep files on a local machine during editing processes or even permanently if their importance is low. Since I'm running Urbackup on my OMV server (as noted by @Alomamabobo) , my clients on are backed up a regular basis to include "My Documents". With Urbackup, it's easy to do selective file restorations if needed, and restorations do not have to be to the original client.
    The doc's I decide to keep long term, which are usually the final product (no more editing), are manually filed to the server.

The feature it sounds like you're looking for is active file synchronization.

Here's a popular sync app that you might find interesting. Resilio Sync
    If it seems interesting, the free version with file/folder sync is supported by the following.

The question is, are you familiar with Dockers?
    If so, you might consider this Docker -> https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/resilio-sync/
    This version is supported by linuxserver.io (they write stable and well documented Dockers).

While I configured up the Resilio Docker in OMV, and it works, I didn't download client software and configure devices. However, as I understand the operation of this sync app, if your OMV server is up, when your PC's, tablets, etc., are up, file synchronization would occur between devices. "How" sync occurs (master device/location, date time stamp) depends on how it's configured and, as it is with any truly flexible app, there's a learning curve so check it out before deciding.

It might be worth it to set up Resilio two devices, (2 PC's?) just to see how it works. If you like it and if you're interested in using the Docker for OMV, I can pass you the settings I used to configure it.

• The active file synchronization sounds interesting. I don't know if I want to use Docker though. Does it have high CPU/Memory requirements?

I like to have my server "low power" because of it's 24/7 nature. I've just upgraded though so I have 4 cores and 16 Gig Ram. Thats actually HUGE compared to what I've run in the past.

If Docker doesn't use a lot of resources then I'm all for trying it.

With active file synchronization I would always have a local copy of the files i want access to, so my speed would be quick. And my updates would be passed to the server share so I would then have access from other machines later. Are there any drawbacks that I should know about?

Oh, I almost forgot. If I delete a file on a local machine, will the deletion propagate? I don't want to have to delete something 4 times to get rid of it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Docker itself, with no containers running, uses next to nothing. It's a form of virtualization, a kind of resource manager. The difference is, true virtualization runs another kernel process and a separate memory space. Dockers share the existing kernel process and memory space, with the host, while maintaining isolation.
    From a resources point of view Dockers are very efficient and better than true virtualization. Further, images / containers designed to work as Dockers tend to be very small, true bare bones. If you haven't worked with a Docker before, you might want to think about giving it a try. As it seems, in IT, Dockers appear to be the most popular way to add "modular" server functionality.

But, if you have doubts, you could test it. Note your idle CPU usage, install the Docker plugin and check it again. I doubt you'd see a difference. However, note that a Docker container is a full guest install and all are not created equal. You'd have to start up the container itself, and study it in operation, to see what the performance impact would be.

Still, if it's like most file coping / sync'ing applications, the performance impact should be minimal. With that noted, I'm guessing Resilio has designed a good Docker.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Correct me if I'm wrong, but syncing would require to be completed before a machine is shut down so that the file has completed syncing/copyied to the server so that it can be accessed by another machine.

This sounds like the old style 'offline files' option in Windows, personally option 1, that's centralising a documents folder so that it can be accessed by all 3 machines, if access time is the problem then that's networking.

Also how do you ensure that the sync process has completed? before accessing the same file on another machine.

• I'm using Urbackup as well (for backup purposes) and rsync. However I have to admit that on windows the cygwin setup was a pain. Nevertheless it's working fairly well with a shell script that I run few times a day (cause with the rsync plugin it wasn't possible to realize my needs).

WOL (if PC is sleeping) -> syncing the folders I need -> If PC was sleeping before the sync sending it back to sleep again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!