OMV VirtualBox 4.1 - "Advanced configuration" switch doesn't work!

• Hello together,

I'm not completely new to OMV and VirtualBox but I don't have any experience with OMV VirtualBox plugin.
    I installed it from omvextras repo (stable) and it seems to work (didn't try to run a vm yet), but the "Advanced configuration" switch is nonfunctional.
    I can enable it but the "preferences" section in phpvirtualbox stays as empty as before. (All the important options are missing.)

When I try to disable "Advanced configuration" again, I get the following message:

"Bad Gateway"

HTML
    <html>
    <head><title>502 Bad Gateway</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>502 Bad Gateway</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx</center>
    </body>
    </html>

Uninstallating and reinstalling the virtualbox plugin didn't solve the problem and I see this same behavior on two separate OMV 4 machines.

Please help me!

Mangoheini

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm really beginning to hate this plugin again.... It is working on my test VM. And the advanced options checkbox doesn't affect the nginx or phpfpm configs at all. I'm not even sure what it does but it shouldn't cause a bad gateway. Is nginx running?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have been getting a 502 bad gateway error when running the nginx plug in with php selected. I found this thread just searching on the error.

Do you think this is related?

It looks like php is not running in my install. (I tried some simple php in a web page and it did not work. I tried to setup a php photo album and got the 502 bad gateway error.)

• I'm really beginning to hate this plugin again.... It is working on my test VM. And the advanced options checkbox doesn't affect the nginx or phpfpm configs at all. I'm not even sure what it does but it shouldn't cause a bad gateway. Is nginx running?

Hmm. I don't know. At least not intentionally.

Just installed OMV4 and the following Plugins:
    - openmediavault-backup
    - openmediavault-rsnapshot
    - openmediavault-syncthing
    - openmediavault-usbbackup
    - openmediavault-downloader
    - openmediavault-symlinks
    - openmediavault-diskstats
    - openmediavault-clamav
    - openmediavault-locate
    - openmediavault-nut
    - openmediavault-omvextrasorg
    - openmediavault-resetperms
    - openmediavault-docker-gui
    - openmediavault-virtualbox

Any ideas?

• Offizieller Beitrag

While off topic:
    That list is almost shocking 8o , but it's a testament to the Dev's that so many plugin's could coexist. Are you actually using all of those plugin's?

• I didn't know that there is a limitation of installed plugins?!? Are there known problems with my setup?

- openmediavault-backup (in use)
    - openmediavault-rsnapshot (used it on my old OMV3 machine, not yet configured on OMV4)
    - openmediavault-syncthing (in use)
    - openmediavault-usbbackup (in use)
    - openmediavault-downloader (regularly used it on OMV3, not yet used on OMV4)
    - openmediavault-symlinks (installed out of curiosity, seems to be useful)
    - openmediavault-diskstats (in use, don't know why i/o diagrams are not built in by default)
    - openmediavault-clamav (not yet configured, nice extra safety belt when you have win clients)
    - openmediavault-locate (in use)
    - openmediavault-nut (in use)
    - openmediavault-omvextrasorg (in use - of course ;) )
    - openmediavault-resetperms (not yet used but it tackles a problem I had in the past - so I installed it preventive)
    - openmediavault-docker-gui (in use for SABnzbd container)
    - openmediavault-virtualbox (not yet in use because of problems)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't know that there is a limitation of installed plugins?!? Are there known problems with my setup?

There's no limitation and no known problems that I'm aware of

My surprise came from being really conservative in what I install. While it's a personal preference, I try to keep production servers as lean as possible.

If you've been around PC's for awhile, you may have found that installing a lot of programs has the effect of slowing things down. When some (or all) of these packages are removed, there are "left over" processes (some may continue to run) and abandoned files. Worse yet, a package uninstall or even a new installation can remove another package's dependencies. This can "break" the install, in some cases, in an irreparable way. While these issues are greatly reduced in Linux, they still exist.

In your case, some of your plugin's are graphical representations that generate command lines or alter config files. Others like downloader, syncthing, clamav, rsnapshot, virtualbox, etc., install "things".

In my case, I test plugin's in a VM to verify that they do what I need done and that there are no ill effects. Then, and only then, will I install them on my working server.

Of the plugin's that install external packages, I'm using the following:

openmediavault-nut (There's not much involved with this one)
    openmediavault-docker-gui
    openmediavault-urbackup-server
    openmediavault-zfs

Good luck

• Ok, I decided to completely start over new and reinstall OMV 4.0 because I need a working Virtualbox installation. But the exact same error persists even with only Virtuabox Plugin (and omv-extras) installed!

Way to reproduce:

- install OMV4 (in my case on real amd64 hardware)
    - reboot with connected data hdd
    - install all available updates
    - reboot
    - install omv-extras and after that virtualbox plugin
    - enable virtualbox plugin, point vm directory to some directory on data hdd
    - try to enable "Advanced configuration"
    - look into phpVirtualBox and don't see any extra preferences
    - try to disable "Advanced configuration" and get the above mentioned error. :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

For a side-by-side comparison: I have VB 5.0.12 on my fast client and VB 5.2.8 on my OMV server, VIA the plugin. And I did an aborted Damn-Small install just to get a look at the VM menus.

OK, when downgrading or turning advanced configuration off, I got a "Bad Gateway" box on occasion. But, it's a one time thing, after making the change, it doesn't have any affect the VB window, and in my case it doesn't happen every time. At the worst, the dialog box is nothing more than an inconvenience that clicking "OK" fixes. (I could file that one along with the "communication error" OMV throws up from time to time.)

However, I saw no differences in the menu's and features with Advanced on or off. Preferences are fewer than on a normally installed client, but not having some of the options in a remotely controlled server add-on is logical.

File, Preferences: (Items missing)
    - Display settings couldn't apply as they would in a client install with local hardware - only a "console window" is available in a remote HTML window. Resizing screens, going full screen and things of that nature couldn't be allowed.
    - The same might apply to "Input". I don't know how that would work with a client -> OMV server -> VB server translation of keyboard input. In any case, I'm guessing the default KB shortcut keys and sequences work.
    - A network proxy would be set in OMV, not in a VB add-on.
    - Extensions (as in not having the ability to add them),, that could be problematic for hosting some clients.
    - "Updates" would have to be handled by the plugin system, not the installed plugin, because of changing dependencies.

With the above noted - virtual machine settings are close to identical to those of the older package on my client.

So let me ask you a question - was VB different in OMV3?

• Thank you for your time! :)

I found the site I was looking for:

https://github.com/phpvirtualb…ox/wiki/Advanced-Settings

This site lists some (not all) of the "Advanced-Settings" I was used to have in phpVirtualBox. For some reason my menus look the same independently of the "Adcanced configuration" setting in the plugin.

Ok, and I forgot to mention that you have to have a VM in phpvirtualbox to enter the settings menu. :whistling:

Please switch off the "Advanced configuration" and go to phpvirtualbox/"highlight some vm"/Settings/System/Acceleration and you should see zwo Checkboxes. Then enable "Advanced configuration" and have a look again. No you should see five checkboxes. (Other examples are on the website I linked)

In my case I have only two checkboxes independently of the plugin setting.

I'm just a user of omv and I have no clue what this "Bad Gateway" error is about. So I think it could be related to my problem. :saint:

• I checked that and now I can say that I'm affected by the "Bad Gateway" message but if I enable the "Advanced configuration" switch and go into the settings menu of a vm I have the extra entries you mentioned. When I switch "Advanced settings" off the extra entries are gone. Seems to work for me.

Perhaps a problem with your browser cache?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, and I forgot to mention that you have to have a VM in phpvirtualbox to enter the settings menu. :whistling:

If you look at my post, I noted the aborted install of "Damn-Small Linux, just for the purpose of looking at the Settings Menus. (The Settings Menu appear to be nearly identical to a full client install.)

Please switch off the "Advanced configuration" and go to phpvirtualbox/"highlight some vm"/Settings/System/Acceleration and you should see zwo Checkboxes. Then enable "Advanced configuration" and have a look again. No you should see five checkboxes. (Other examples are on the website I linked)

I did as you suggested in Settings, System, Acceleration:
    With advanced off, there were 2 boxes. With advanced on, there were 5. That suggests the Advanced configuration switch, in my install, works as it should. (And after I toggled the switch, hit the save button, then I hit the "reset" button to restart the plugin.)

In addition, I have the "Input Tab", the "High Precision Event Timer", "Disable host time sync", etc., which your link suggests are advanced config items.

Most of the time, better than 50/50, I don't get the "Bad Gateway" box but when I do, there's no detectable ill effect on the plugin. Since the plugin is web based, perhaps the change slows VB down enough to where the Bad Gateway dialog is triggered as VB catches up. (The "communication error" I mentioned earlier happens on Raspberry Pi's, on occasion. They're notoriously slow.)

In the bottom line, other than being a nuisance, I don't think the "Bad Gateway" dialog box matters.

I'd empty your browser's cache first thing. I was really surprised by the effects a browser cache can have on the contents of a displayed page, that has been displayed before (components of which are stored in cache).

BTW: The clean build I used for VB plugin testing does not have the back ports kernel (4.14 or 4.16) installed. It's OMV4 running on kernel 4.9.0. While I don't think there's any difference, it's worth noting. If you want to try out the standard kernel, I can point you to the process.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm really beginning to hate this plugin again.... It is working on my test VM. And the advanced options checkbox doesn't affect the nginx or phpfpm configs at all. I'm not even sure what it does but it shouldn't cause a bad gateway. Is nginx running?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the VB plugin itself and when it comes to the "Bad Gateway" dialog box, there doesn't seem to be any real world effect. I've been through this twice and while that's not exhaustive testing, I don't think there's anything serious here. If "Bad Gateway" pops up on occasion, when the Advanced Configuration button is toggled, it shouldn't happen often. I'm guessing most users will set the Advanced switch one way or the other and leave it there.

While I don't use it myself I'd hate to see VirtualBox dropped because, from a hardware resources point of view, running VB as a plugin makes sense. (It's really easy to off-load VM files to a data drive.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's no limitation and no known problems that I'm aware of

Here are the plugins installed on my test VM :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• First of all I want to say thank you for your patience and I have to apologize. :saint: Indeed the cause for this error was on my side. When I came home today I used my wifes notebook to access omv and phpvirtualbox for the first time and to my surprise the missing phpVirtualBox options were there.

I swear I have cleared the (firefox) browser cache on my own pc several times and on different ways but i was never able to see the extra options when "Advanced configuration" was enabled. But from my wifes notebook (also Firefox on Ubuntu) the menu worked as expected. When you enable "Advanced configuration", the options appear :thumbup: and when you disable it you first get the "Bad Gateway" error but after that the extra options are gone. So I investigated a bit deeper whats wrong with my firefox but the only way to make the options appear was to completely delete my old firefox profile.

So the "Bad Gateway" error is present but it doesn't seem to cause further problems. This cache thing really drove me crazy. :cursing: I'm tinkering since wednesday to make this omv/virtualbox machine work as expected and I was well aware that browser caches can cause such problems. But this is the first time ever my firefox profile is borked like that. :thumbdown: I've even set up a separate omv test machine and had the same cache problems there. 8|

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it is the probably I think it is, the bad gateway problem is impossible to avoid since nginx is restarted (meaning the web interface can't communicate to the web server).

• Offizieller Beitrag

First of all I want to say thank you for your patience and I have to apologize. :saint:
    This cache thing really drove me crazy. :cursing:

It's all good! :D The first time the cache thing came my way, well,, I was surprised too. The cache issues, which also occur on the net unknown to the user, is a down side of making browsers faster.

Here are the plugins installed on my test VM :)

Yeah,, :) I've done craze things with VM's too; like VM's inside VM's, with Dockers. (I've run into sub-interface limitations in the layers.) You gotta' love the technology. :D Now,, tell me what you have installed on your production server ! :)

If it is the probably I think it is, the bad gateway problem is impossible to avoid since nginx is restarted (meaning the web interface can't communicate to the web server).

You might be able to head off more inquiries by putting a note by the switch - "Toggling may cause a temporary Gateway Error."

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!