KVM memory balloon functionality not running on MediaVault when running in VM

• Hi,

I'm running OpenMediaVault under KVM using Proxmox with a PCIe passthrough SATA card.
    This seems to work. I can't yet tell about the long term stability but it looks allright.
    However Proxmox is not able to see/control the used memory of the guest OS as the balloon functionality is not running (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-qm.html#qm_memory).
    This is however included in the Linux kernel for quite some time now.
    Any idea how to fix this?

Regards,

Poke43

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have qemu-guest-agent installed and enabled?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think qemu-guest-agent is in the kernel so no install would be needed. I have always enable it so it can shutdown from proxmox gui or system. I am sure it could be involved with other things too.

To see if it is working once enabled with the latest version of proxmox. Look at the vm summary page, you should see the ip address.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think qemu-guest-agent is in the kernel so no install would be needed.

The drivers are in the kernel but the agent package installs the agent service which is necessary for quite a few things:

• querying and setting guest system time
    • performing guest filesystem sync operation
    • initiating guest shutdown or suspend to ram
    • accessing guest files
    • freezing/thawing guest filesystem operations
    • others

That said, I'm not sure if it is needed for balloon features. I have a production proxmox server but I don't use ballooning.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are right about needing to install the agent. It's is kind of in my mussel memory and I didn't think of that.

I suppose using or not using balloon depends on how much memory you have and the demands on it.

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!