Rename partition label

• I have partitions mounted as shown below and would like to change the label from 'backup' to something more appropriate.
    I have only a single shared folder which I'm prepared to delete

1. The web interface on this and other mounts is greyed out,which does not allow unmounting.
    2. the delete button on the shared folder is similarly greyed out

Assuming these issues can be resolved is renaming a label as simple as unmounting,, changing the label, and remounting

• Your device is still referenced. You have to remove all references first. You can use the resetperms-plugin to clarify the references.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Well, I ran into some issue whilst I tried to rename mine.

I run OMV4 as a VM on a ESXi host, with 2 Disks RDM from ESX as they are in fact 2 RAID arrays, one is a RAID1 3TB whilst the other is a RAID10 3TB (6x1TB)

About a month ago I renamed the device (/dev/sdb1) from "Array1SMB" to what it is now functional "Array1_RAID1" whilst it was still not referenced yet by anything.

I done that by CLI editing /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and /etc/fstab then rebooted OMV.

fstab.txt
    config.xml.txt

All went really nice. I created new shares on it, then run some Rsync jobs in between both devices, all good.

Then I said, let me follow a consistent naming convention and rename the other device (/dev/sdc1)

So I applied the same relevant changes on both fstab and config.xml as before, but I ended up with a new file system (named as I wanted it), all shares referencing it, but OMV was reporting it as "Missing"

Then I believe I made the stupid decision of deleting the old file system from GUI, hoping that I'll be able to mount the new one - it obviously didn't.

So my next step was to roll back using the snapshot I made prior of making this changes. By the way, the fstab and config file you see above are exact what I have at the moment.

Well, I'm pretty sure my data and shared folders are still there, intact... but since I'm not mastering the UNIX system I'm a bit suck after loosing track of all the threads I read on this forum and other Linux ones.

Is anyone able to shed some light please?

Many thanks,
    B

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to change the file system label the cleanest procedure should be:

• remove all shares on that file system from the services
    • remove the shares on that file system (only the share, not the content!!!)
    • un-mount the file system
    • change the file system label via CLI
    • mount the file system with the new name
    • create the shared folders
    • add the shared folders to the services

All steps except #4 to be performed in the GUI of OMV. You should really not change config.xml or fstab unless you really know what you are doing.

• If you want to change the file system label the cleanest procedure should be:

• remove all shares on that file system from the services
    • remove the shares on that file system (only the share, not the content!!!)
    • un-mount the file system
    • change the file system label via CLI
    • mount the file system with the new name
    • create the shared folders
    • add the shared folders to the services

All steps except #4 to be performed in the GUI of OMV. You should really not change config.xml or fstab unless you really know what you are doing.

Thanks for you reply macom, unfortunately that's a bit late, since I've attempted to relabel the file system by editing the 2 files with shares still referencing it and still mounted.
    The trouble is that I deleted the File System from GUI as it was reported missing (after the dodgy rename), before I restored the snapshot.
    Have I not deleted it, as soon as the snapshot was restored, it would have brought everything back in line.
    So as soon as I restored the snapshot, the old file system appeared back on GUI, but I'm unable to mount it back as it now says it's missing again, but this time for obvious (user interference) reasons.

Any advice on that?

Many thanks,
    B

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!