console user

• Hello to all,

I would like to get the opinion especially from guys in that working on the development. From time to time I use the console to do some tasks that either the GUI don't have or works little different that I expect. Right now I'm using the root user but it is quite known that it is not a good practice but.... we are talking about openmediavault and not a pure linux system
    So I would like to ask if it worth/good etc. to continue use root or it is better to create a user and when it is needed invoke sudo.

• Create a new user and elevate privileges only when needed.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

we are talking about openmediavault and not a pure linux system

OMV is a "pure" linux system.

And I +1 what gderf said. The user part isn't as risky as doing things manually since OMV controls most of the config files. So, if you are changing config files, the changes may be overwritten by OMV.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The "pure" gone that on openmediavault you done most of the staff from the gui and you don't need to go through do changes on the files. In my cases tasks which I run on the console because either are faster or more convinient are apt-get upgrade (I'm afraid the gui time that can break the initramfs) or mostly docker commands for updating the containers with newer image versions.

So from my understanding of the answers is that having a user or running as root doesn't give some value.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!