Special instructions for OMV 4 on Debian 9 Ryzen + Radeon?

• I would like to follow this guide Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

However:

1) I have an AMD Ryzen CPU

2) I have an AMD Radeon GPU (will be removed once server is set-up and running well)

3) I would like to install from USB, not from the network.

accordin to UEFI motherboard has most recent BIOS/firmware (ASRock AB350)

I am currently installing the non-free (proprietary AMD+Intel drivers) Debian 9 from USB.

what else do I need to change from the linked guide in order to get OMV 4 setup and working? :)

thank you for any assistance

• Think of OMV as a program that runs on top of Debian, so if Debian works, there's nothing else you have to to do make OMV work.
    There's as such, nothing to change from the guide you linked to.

You might have issues booting your system without a graphics card though, as a lot of PC motherboards won't boot without a graphics card.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Think of OMV as a program that runs on top of Debian, so if Debian works, there's nothing else you have to to do make OMV work.
    There's as such, nothing to change from the guide you linked to.

You might have issues booting your system without a graphics card though, as a lot of PC motherboards won't boot without a graphics card.

Perfect, thanks. I believe the motherboard supports booting w/o display but I guess we will see. Worst case scenario I leave the card in and it disrupts airflow a little bit.

What is the best way to install Debian from USB instead of from network? I have openmediavault_4.1.3-amd64.iso as a bootable USB if that helps.

• Is there a reason as to why you can't install it over the network? I hope you understand that even if you use a USB drive to start the installation, it's not the full software on there and depending on the configuration choices you do during the setup, a lot of additional stuff will be downloaded. Then once the base install is done, you'll most likely download quite a bit of extra stuff as well, since the base version doesn't include things like media servers etc.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Is there a reason as to why you can't install it over the network? I hope you understand that even if you use a USB drive to start the installation, it's not the full software on there and depending on the configuration choices you do during the setup, a lot of additional stuff will be downloaded. Then once the base install is done, you'll most likely download quite a bit of extra stuff as well, since the base version doesn't include things like media servers etc.

kind of silly to ask for a reason, don't you think? i determined it would have been the best option, and there is no logical reason to require network installation or recommend it over any other options. thought linux was supposed to be all about options/choices for end-user, but i digress.

EDIT: by booting into recovery mode i was able to run fsck whcih was allegedly successful; however, upon rebooting into default (not recovery mode) i get the initial error again: /dev/sda2 recovering journal.

anyway since it's seemingly impossible to do a non-network install I did it over the network.

Installed Debian 9 (from USB) successfully and Debian booted / rebooted fine. updated and added OMV to repository.

Installed OMV. OMV installation claimed to be successful, asked to be rebooted and then given command omv-initsystem. reboot and gave command, then the system tried to reboot but wouldn't boot. It gave error "directory hole found" and kept retrying stuff by itself but kept getting that error for a few hours so I hard reset.

Now I get:

/dev/sda2 recovering journal
    ata6.00 exception emask action frozen
    ata6.00 failed command: write dma
    ata6.00 status DRDY

/dev/sda2: unexpected inconsistency run fsck manually

busybox v1.22.1
    (initramfs)

'help' does not list fsck as a command. 'exit' says "check forced problem in htree directory inode /usr/bin.

hard drive was checked for errors times before install, shouldn't be a hardware issue. what do i do? can i use debian 9 install usb image as a live cd and use that to run fsck manually? is it just goign to do this to itself again?

btw installation of both debian and omv was **E X T R E M E L Y** slow. it really should not have been that slow but idk what's wrong?

• Someone else was having problems with Ryzen as well. I'm afraid I haven't tried on my Ryzen rig, as it's my main desktop system.

The installation is quite slow and also depends on your internet connection, as I'm guessing around half of what you're installing is being downloaded. Also, what's the drive you're installing to? If it's a slow USB drive, then it's going to be limited to the write speed of that drive.

I'm afraid I have no idea about the error message, I'd suggest you start a new thread for that.

• Someone else was having problems with Ryzen as well. I'm afraid I haven't tried on my Ryzen rig, as it's my main desktop system.

The installation is quite slow and also depends on your internet connection, as I'm guessing around half of what you're installing is being downloaded. Also, what's the drive you're installing to? If it's a slow USB drive, then it's going to be limited to the write speed of that drive.

I'm afraid I have no idea about the error message, I'd suggest you start a new thread for that.

looks like for Ryzen I have to backport the 4.15 or 4.16 kernel and/or updated amd microcode on Debian before I install OMV.

the bolded part brings me back to my initial question though: how can I install from USB instead of internet? can I somehow apt-get and verify all the OMV files on Windows or a VM first and then transfer them to a USB drive for install?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!