My current RPi-OMV-Nas needs an update

• Hello,

i'm reading in this forum for a while now and i felt the time is right to subscribe.
    First of all, i want to show you my current omv-setup and what its doing for me.
    Maybe someone can benefit from my thoughts, remarks, implemented things etc.
    I'm aware that using a raspberry pi is not the right choice, i will come back to this later...

I'm using a RPi 2B with:
    Hardware
    - 128Gb SanDisk-Stick (for interchangeable documents, files between 3 computers)
    - 750Gb 2,5" WD-Elements (for media library, mysql-database for 3 kodi-devices)
    - USB-webcam (for looking at my flat when i am out of town)
    - GPIO - PiGlow-Board (for current network-, processor-performance and temperature)
    - GPIO - 433Mhz-transmitter (for radio controlled sockets)

Software
    - omv 3.0.99 (currently)
    - minidlna
    - mysql
    - wiring-pi (for 433mhz-things)
    - telepot (python-driven Telegram-Bot to control the nas from far away (reboot, shutdown, taking a picture and send it, switch radio-controlled sockets,...))
    - podget (Podcast-Grabber)
    - smb-shares
    - unison (Unison - to keep the documents-folder synced between my pc, netbook and laptop)
    - on my android phone "foldersync" (to backup my pictures onto my nas when i'm home)

This setup runs for about three years.
    Unfortunately three micro-sdcards were worn... I had the sql-database at the sdcard at first, this led to a high write usage, i think.
    Also the speed is low, as mentioned in this thread, i think its time to replace the beloved pi.

What i want
    I want to upgrade my nas to gain more speed, reliability (sdcards), but preferably not highly more power consumption.
    I would like to reuse the PiGlow-Board (or something like that) and the radio-transmitter at the GPIOs.
    I want to update the external harddrive to a bigger or real internal (sata)-drive.
    At best, i would like to implement a RAID 1-setup, but thats not my priority.
    As compromise, i could sync the important data every night to another external drive and unmount it.

My Thoughts - Boards
    Following this thread, the best boards, suiting my needs are the ODroid HC1/2 or the Rock64 (and maybe RockPro64??)?
    As far as i see, the ODroid has no usable GPIOs, or? (Contra)

Did anyone knows, if the Rock64s GPIO-layout is the same as Raspberry Pis?
    Is it better to use an emmc-board at the Rock64 then a sdcard or will it also worn out after some (longer) time?
    Digging some forums for the ordering process of the Rock64 in america, it seems that its likely you have to pay some horrific fees for DHL customs clearance and so on?
    Has anyone experiences?

My Thoughts - Drives
    In my opinion, external drives are not as good as real (nas-)drives like wd red (unfortunately they are always 3,5"), right?
    Updating my nas-setup, i would also like to update the drive (up to ~2-4Tb).

Did you think, it doesn't matter using an 2,5" or an 3,5"-harddrive?
    What are the benefits of an 3,5"-drive besides it needs an external power supply?
    Can you recomment a good 2,5"-drive with a good price-performance ratio?

Hoping not to bore you,
    best regards,

Minfred

• Offizieller Beitrag

had the sql-database at the sdcard at first, this led to a high write usage, i think.

Yes it did. Databases are terrible for SD cards.

At best, i would like to implement a RAID 1-setup, but thats not my priority.

NO NO NO. Not only should you not use raid on an arm board, you really shouldn't raid with usb drives. Use rsync to sync the drives on a scheduled basis.

Digging some forums for the ordering process of the Rock64 in america, it seems that its likely you have to pay some horrific fees for DHL customs clearance and so on?
    Has anyone experiences?

Order it from ameridroid. They have all of the boards you are looking at.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• HI,

thank you for your comments.
    Reading more and more about this, i think the Rock64 seems to be the best candidate fitting my needs.

Unfortunately, i haven't found good answers about this questions at my way through the internet:

Or is it in any case better to use an external power supply, even in 2,5-drives...
    I thought about a Seagate 2,5"-Barracuda plus the original Rock64-Sata-USB-adapter for the nas from the Price-powerconsumption-performance-ratio (what a word) point of view?

Thank you,

best regards,
    Minfred

• The emmc also degrades quite fast, compared to an ssd or hdd. Maybe it's more durable than an sd-card, but it's way more expensive to replace when worn out.
    Since rock64 has 128mb spi flash, that can be flashed easily (thanks to ayufan), it's possible to boot from usb drive.

But I would recommend a good 8-16 GB sdcard, or good usb-stick, flashmemory plugin and maybe mount-bind some write-intensive folders like databases (and home folders) to your data-drives.
    When you have your system fully configured, you can easily put the sd-card or usb stick into your pc and pull an image.

So even if you have to replace the sdcard every two years or so, it is definitely way more easy and cheap than any other option.

For backups, you can use rsnapshot (plugin) which configures very easy, or borgbackup (you have to manually set that up, but it's very space efficient). Either way, you do not want to use raid in a home environment.

I'm suspecting that usb-power is looped through from dc-in, so if you have a good 3A power supply, it should work. Alternatively, you can always power an external 2.5 with a powered usb-hub, or whip-cable.

From my experience, utilizing the GPIOs on any other system than raspberry is always a pain. Maybe you could outsource all that GPIO (and camera stuff) and still use your old raspberry for that.

Performance is great on Rock64, given the correct hard drive, and the right usb-sata adapter it can saturate the gbit-ethernet.

• Hello,

thank you for your mentions.

Your mentions erases almost all benefits of the Rock64 over the HC-1. That were the informations i needed to make my decision.

Unfortunately, the Pi-Ledboard sticked on the GPIOs shows me the current workload of the NAS (ethernet-transferdata, temperature, cpu-load).
    Sourcing this out to another board make no sense in this case. :D
    But nevertheless, the NAS will also work without telling me its current state.

So, i think, i will save myself the trouble with customs clearence, shipping from america (Rock64) and take the Odroid HC-1, the RTC-Chip and a Seagate Barracuda from pollin.

Thank you also for the backup-tips. Borgbackup sounds useful.

Kind regards,
    Minfred

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!