Installing OMV 4 on a Intel motherboard Raid aka Fake RAID

• Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a new backup server. Before that I used OMV 3 installed on a USB disk and I used software RAID but this time I want to install the system on the RAID disk directly, without using a USB stick. I have configured a RAID 0 on 2 disks using the BIOS utility.

I followed the debian instruction to install the OS on a RAID so I tried to start the installer with the kernel option : dmraid=true and I also tried mdadm=true.

The setup fail because it can't detect the RAID and write on it.

If I start a rescue shell I can see my raid :

$ cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities :
    md127 : inactive sda[1](S) sdb[0](S)
    6306 blocks super external:imsm

$ mdadm --detail --scan
    ARRAY /dev/md127 metadata=imsm UUID=...

So my question is how can I use this RAID to install the system on it ? The only solution I'm thinking now is to install a regular debian and then OVM package on it.

Thank you for you answers.

• Using RAID 0 for the OMV system disk seems quite pointless to me.

Do you have some specific reason(s) why you would want to do this?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would guess he is looking for the speed of raid 0. If so I think the network connection will be the limiting factor anyway. Also he may want to test the speed of a few other methods like mdadm and zfs etc.

Better questions get better answers most of the time. We wont have to guess as much.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One disadvantage to proprietary raids is if down the road the motherboard or hw raid fails you need that brand or board to recover your raid. With software raid you should be able to grab something you have around and get back online.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!